Ripp
(.577 member)
16/11/21 08:37 AM
F&S--10 Most Accurate RIfles Tested

Might be all marketing bs, but an interesting read nonetheless..

https://www.fieldandstream.com/10-most-accurate-factory-hunting-rifles-weve-ever-tested/

DarylS
(.700 member)
16/11/21 10:25 AM
Re: F&S--10 Most Accurate RIfles Tested

Yes - interesting read. I would add my Browning A3 with 26" bl. in .300 Win Mag to that list. As stock, no bedding, just shooting, with factory Winchester 180gr. Bonded and Remington 180gr. Coreloct factory, it clover leafed - almost every time. The odd time, 2 in one hole with a bit of paper between that hole and the double-hole. Not joking - it was extremely accurate. I didn't even measure the groups, clover leafs. Under 1/2", even on the groups that had one out of the hole.
Mind you, they were only 3-shot groups - quick heating was the reason.
Only took 2 shots to get onto the 1000 meter buffalo. The first was my fault, holding for the book's 1000yard MOA suggestion and not deciphering for 1000 meters. Added 1 1/2 MOA- pow---clang.
The Anschutz .17HMR was a welcome surprise. I thought only my cobbled together Martini HMR was that accurate.

Ripp
(.577 member)
17/11/21 01:54 AM

Quote:

Yes - interesting read. I would add my Browning A3 with 26" bl. in .300 Win Mag to that list. As stock, no bedding, just shooting, with factory Winchester 180gr. Bonded and Remington 180gr. Coreloct factory, it clover leafed - almost every time. The odd time, 2 in one hole with a bit of paper between that hole and the double-hole. Not joking - it was extremely accurate. I didn't even measure the groups, clover leafs. Under 1/2", even on the groups that had one out of the hole.
Mind you, they were only 3-shot groups - quick heating was the reason.
Only took 2 shots to get onto the 1000 meter buffalo. The first was my fault, holding for the book's 1000yard MOA suggestion and not deciphering for 1000 meters. Added 1 1/2 MOA- pow---clang.
The Anschutz .17HMR was a welcome surprise. I thought only my cobbled together Martini HMR was that accurate.

I have had several factory..nothing special as to looks or cost guns that are incredibly accurate.. One is a CZ in .204 cal... shoots better than guns 2 to 3 times more expensive...

Have another Remington 700 in .270.. shoots tiny little groups, all touching with factory ammo...another Remington I have in .338RUM.. factory ammo..a one holer, again with factory ammo...

Have a HS Precision in 300RUM that shoots really well --1/4" groups if I do my part..

Custom in 28 Nosler with a Proof barrel, Defiance action, timney trigger, carbon fiber stock.. but that is all custom so really doesnt count for this article..

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
17/11/21 04:51 PM

Yuck,
Yuck,
Yuck,
Yuck,
Yuck,
Yuck,
Yuck
Yuck
Yuck,
Yuck.

DarylS
(.700 member)
18/11/21 06:20 AM

All 10,I see. LOL

Ripp
(.577 member)
18/11/21 06:28 AM

Quote:

All 10,I see. LOL

Just trying to keep it positive and consistent.

BTW, if anyone has one of the Proof or Seekins rifles they don't want, I will be happy to adopt it for no additional charge..

Ripp
(.577 member)
18/11/21 09:31 AM

It gets better....

Tackdrivers: 12 of the Most Accurate Hunting Rifles Ever Made

From early tackdriving muzzleloaders to today's long-range game getters, these rifles have earned their reputations for hitting where hunters aim

BY RICHARD MANN | UPDATED NOV 10, 2021 11:01 AM

https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/most-accurate-hunting-rifles/

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
18/11/21 08:43 PM

Ok. I would accept one such, with several detachable ten shot magazines for my zombie apocalypse sniper rifle. In .308.

But my better than a crude more Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 already does it and is superbly accurate. I have an ugly classic plastic stock on it. I did ask a tactical plastic stock maker making m98 8x57 setups when they would do it for a Swedish Mauser? Removable box mags as well. Then I could wear black tactical gear and become truly modern. With my over 125 year old vintage cartridge.

DoubleD
(.400 member)
18/11/21 11:58 PM

I suspect there isn't a lot of deep development going on by Ammunition manufacturers to develop hyper accurate ammunition for the 30-06 or the 30-30.

If there was.....

Ripp
(.577 member)
19/11/21 01:22 AM

Quote:

I suspect there isn't a lot of deep development going on by Ammunition manufacturers to develop hyper accurate ammunition for the 30-06 or the 30-30.

If there was.....

I suspect you are correct..as with most things, market dictates the direction of development... Long range shooting competitions are in full force in this area.. SO, that is what is being developed and produced.. I was just commenting to my hunting buddies last weekend how technology has certainly changed things.. I remember back in the day a 300 yard shot was considered on the longish side.. 400 was wwwaaaaaayyyyyy out there... today it's used to warm up for long range..Personally, I feel anything that gets and keeps more people involved in the shooting sports is a good thing. While I greatly enjoy long range "target" shooting, one thing I am very tired of seeing are all the posts on Farcebook bragging about their 900000 yard shot on an elk.. In full agreement with many here.. NOT hunting.. Again, IMHO, true hunting is being missed by many. They will never realize the skill and art it truly is.. MY kids will not be part of that..they will learn to hunt close..rifle and bow.. and also be able to shoot far.. they love shooting...SO, I am a blessed man..

The End..

DarylS
(.700 member)
19/11/21 06:54 AM

Yes, you are, Art. 3 ways!

93x64mm
(.416 member)
19/11/21 07:29 AM

Quote:

Yes, you are, Art. 3 ways!