(.577 member)
14/01/20 06:19 AM
M1 Garand--Man-who-invented it and it's forgotten history

https://ricochet.com/709603/ohn-garand-t..._82885mKVcPLrew

93x64mm
(.416 member)
14/01/20 07:16 AM
Re: Man-who-invented- M1 Garand--forgotten history

Certainly a grand rifle Ripp - shame I've never got to fire one. It certainly was a labour of love for Garand.

Homer
(.416 member)
14/01/20 07:56 AM

Quote:

Certainly a grand rifle Ripp - shame I've never got to fire one. It certainly was a labour of love for Garand.

+1

Regards
Homer

mauserand9mm
(.400 member)
14/01/20 12:16 PM

I was lucky and didn't miss out on all the fun....

Ripp
(.577 member)
15/01/20 01:24 AM

You certainly did not miss out...

Congrats.. several of my friends have them --have shot them a bit.. fun firearm to shoot/use..

xausa
(.400 member)
15/01/20 10:18 AM

In 1960 I reported to Quantico for Officer's training and was issued an M1. I had never handled one before, but I managed to qualify as Expert with it. When I reported back to Quantico for Officer's Basic School, I was again issued an M1 and shot Expert with it again. When I arrived in Okinawa, I ended up in Headquarters Battalion, where I volunteered for the battalion rifle team and was made Officer in Charge. I shot well enough in the team match to be picked to compete in the individual Division Matches and was issued a National Match M1.

With it I shot the match, which consisted of twice over the Marine Corps Match Course, 80 shots X 2, fired in two days on the old 5-V target. The first day, I lost five points standing and five points at 600 yards, for a total of 390. The second day I dropped six standing and five at 600, for a total of 389 and a two day total of 779 out of a possible 800 points, which was good enough to earn me a bronze medal and my first leg on Distinguished. It took me 17 years to accumulate enough points for the Distinguished badge, three gold medals in my case, but I finally made it, all fired with the M1.

When I was selected for the All Marine Reserve Rifle Team, we were issued National Match M14's, but I found them to be muzzle light and continued to shoot my NM M1. Eventually the NM M14's were equipped with heavier barrels and I reluctantly switched over, resolving the ammunition problem.

I still have a NM M1, built by the armorers at the Advanced Marksmanship Unit at Quantico. I would like to be buried with it.

mauserand9mm
(.400 member)
15/01/20 06:03 PM

Did you find the M14 muzzle light in balance or recoil?

xausa
(.400 member)
15/01/20 10:03 PM

Quote:

Did you find the M14 muzzle light in balance or recoil?

Balance. I like my rifles to have some weight up front when shooting standing, unsupported, or at a moving target. The same with my shotguns. I have a Merkel 201 O/U 12 gauge which I could never shoot effectively until I fitted it with a pair of 28 gauge insert barrels. Now it's my favorite for dove hunting. The additional weight up front made all the difference in swing and follow through.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com