NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
19/08/19 06:44 PM
SMLE mounts without drilling and tapping

Saw this on a group on facebook.

A set of mounts using a picatinny rail for a SMLE which does not require drilling and tapping etc.

https://www.arcticfoxoptics.com.au/shop/military-mounts/303-enfield-1-mark-3/?v=6cc98ba2045f

How do they work?

Are they reliable and not shift under recoil or over time?

I note the facebook group had one person saying his had not shifted for two years.

The main person posting favourable comments, showed the mounts and scope fitted, but did not have a bolt in the rifle.

Do the mounts and/or scope get in the way of the bolt?

Also does the scope need to be removed to remove the bolt?

Please comment.

PS I would consider a set of these mounts for my cut down SMLE No.1 Mk III. It was el cheapo, possibly very worn. Not worth doing anything to, unless it might be rebarrelling.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
19/08/19 07:42 PM
Re: SMLE mounts without drilling and tapping

Quote:

Description
KEEP YOUR RIFLE IN ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION

The Enfield Base fit the No 1 MK3 Rifle without the need for gunsmithing .(No drilling or tapping). Picatinny rail format allows a wide variety of mounting and optical options.

I see there is a pdf of instructions:

https://www.arcticfoxoptics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/mark-3.pdf?v=6cc98ba2045f

Rule303
(.416 member)
20/08/19 08:12 AM

from what I know there are several brands that are similar. They do hold as tight as drilled and tapped. They are not custom made for individual rifles so with the m slight difference in dimensions of each rifle and mount there is some play, however small.

I believe you can get them for the No1 Mk3 and the No4/5. I am about to start looking for one for the No4/5 as i have trouble seeing the front sight clearly on my Jungle Carbine. Only use it in scrub after pigs so any slop wont really matter.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/08/19 06:20 PM

Less than $50 for the bases so worth trying out I think. A picatinny rail, so the mounts could be used on any picatinny rail setup rifle.

I like some of the rings have a small picatinny rail on top as well. Mount a small red dot sight there and go truly .303 tactical.

yumastepside
(.333 member)
21/08/19 07:20 AM

I had one of these on my No.1 converted to 7x57r. They have two grub screws on the bridge end that you wind out to wedge the mount between the bridge and the front receiver ring. They need a bit of shaping to get a good full contact to the mating faces.
After about twenty rounds the thing jarred itself off and smacked me in the face with the scope!
You can guess my opinion of them....

Roger

....the continuing evolution of my 7x57r...

Rule303
(.416 member)
21/08/19 07:39 AM

Quote:

I had one of these on my No.1 converted to 7x57r. They have two grub screws on the bridge end that you wind out to wedge the mount between the bridge and the front receiver ring. They need a bit of shaping to get a good full contact to the mating faces.
After about twenty rounds the thing jarred itself off and smacked me in the face with the scope!

Roger

You loved that much you wanted to kiss it

93x64mm
(.416 member)
22/08/19 06:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Roger

You loved that much you wanted to kiss it

More like in the 'kisser'.....OOWWW!!

Sarg
(.400 member)
22/08/19 02:47 PM

Not great, tried on one of my Speeders as I didn’t want to drill & tap, save your money !

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
22/08/19 05:59 PM

Damn. With all these comments now I am questioning if they will work. Maybe give them a try just as a test? They are not too expensive.

They do sound too good to be true. Not screwed on, not even modern glued on, nor braised on. Just some screws and tension ... guess the guys saying they work well are either connected to the business or the websites, or never shoot much OR just to be positive, maybe the bases "fit" better on some actions than others?

I may still give them a try. If they don't work, gives me something to complain and moan about for the next ten years ,,, something new at least .....

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
22/08/19 06:12 PM

From the internet.

Sarg
(.400 member)
22/08/19 10:24 PM

My mate thinks they great .... after he drilled & tapped then screwed them on !

Contact Us NitroExpress.com