(.300 member)
28/05/05 09:15 PM
the worlds best rifle

what is the best all round rifle in the world that wont cost an arm and a leg this includes caliber and make of rifle

Morten
(.275 member)
28/05/05 09:52 PM
Re: the worlds best rifle

I am very satesfied with my Shults & Larsen rifle in 9,3*62. The trigger is a strory of it self, so are the barrels and presission. They are vell known for their barrels. It shoulders very vell for me and everything part of it is metal. ( I have the "old" MD 97 modell with the safety on the bolt.) I would not change this rifle for anything. You will not be disapointed.

I also think that Sako M75 would be a smart choise.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
28/05/05 11:34 PM

Assuming the general theme of this site I assume you are referring to a bigger bore.

For a plain rifle the HS Precision in 375 Rem Ultra. Would cost about with muzzle brake about $4000AUS out here.

For someting more flashy in wood then a Weathery by via their custom shot and Kreiger cut rifling barrel and action work option in 378 or 460. Will cost about $6000AUS to $13000AUS out here dending on what you get.

Both rifles are centre line and so no feeding issues etc.

I think the Sauer 202 would also be there in 375 H&H, another centreline feeder and perhaps about $3000AUS out here.

Mike

Pottsy
(.224 member)
29/05/05 05:34 AM

In reply to:

I am very satesfied with my Shults & Larsen rifle in 9,3*62. The trigger is a strory of it self, so are the barrels and presission. They are vell known for their barrels. It shoulders very vell for me and everything part of it is metal. ( I have the "old" MD 97 modell with the safety on the bolt.) I would not change this rifle for anything. You will not be disapointed.

I also think that Sako M75 would be a smart choise.

Well since i am new i guess i really shouldn't couse to much trouble on my first posting ...

But your right on everything but if it were up to me it would be the same rifle but in 9.3x64 B

My newest one ( i have two ) is a work gun so to speak
its built on an old springfield... the only draw back with doing this way was i cant run anything over 293 which is not a really bad thing since the 9.3x64 seems to do best with 260+ Grain bullets and seems to fall away at around 290+ grains..
Which is what sparked me to order a swage die set in
a Rebaitted Boattail so i can make up 280 grain boattails for it .

Well thanks for letting on the board boys ...

Very nice lay out on the board

Oldsarge
(.300 member)
29/05/05 09:41 AM

Winchester M70 in .375 H&H that has been properly tuned by a very competant smith wearing a Leupold 1.5x5 on QD mounts with a spare scope.

One gun to rule them all, one gun to find them . . .

500Nitro
(.450 member)
29/05/05 09:58 AM

Pottsy

"the only draw back with doing this way was I cant run anything over 293
which is not a really bad thing since the 9.3x64 seems to do best with 260+ Grain
bullets and seems to fall away at around 290+ grains."

I have to differ - the 9.3 x 64B is great with 320gn bullets - it adds additional punch
to the 286gn bullets.

The 320gn, although designed for a double rifle works well on large game incl DG.

It is not designed to shoot to 300 - 400 metres.

500 Nitro

Pottsy
(.224 member)
29/05/05 01:04 PM

500Nitro : Wrote

I have to differ - the 9.3 x 64B is great with 320gn bullets - it adds additional punch
to the 286gn bullets.

The 320gn, although designed for a double rifle works well on large game incl DG.

----------------------------------------------------
While all this is well and good the Springfield i use as a work gun does not and can not chamber up a bullet that is that long unless i want to drop the powder charge down to the point were it serves no purpose to shoot the rifle
The springfield action is not long eoungh to handle long bullets that was my point .
My other 9.3x64 B can handle heavier bullets but what i have been shooting with it for 30 years are Couger and Elk
and neither game animals really require a bullet over 280 grains to kill which is why i use a diffrent rifle to hunt in the brush.
I use my GS for the brush .Its short and quick to point up
and i make 300 grain thin walled jacketed for those light skinned game .

Were i live there is no need for heavy weight bullet in my 9.3x64 all i every hunt with them are the coastal deer and couger and Elk.
If i were to go on a real DG hunt for african Lion i dont know if even then i would use a heavy bullets in my 9.3x64
the PH's i have talked to dont seem to think its required
and i make and sell them my bullets
Last person i made 9.3's for was Bill Warren and although i have not heard back yet from him it seems he likes a smaller weigh .
But then again i have not have the fun of hunting in africa
so i will leave it to those that have .

Thanks for the feed back 500Nitro

Ed Hubel said he would post up some picture of my .700 diameter bullets i made for him would that be ok if on a diffrent post i put up those pictures ?

Thanks again for letting on the board guys.
P.S

500Nitro wrote :

----------------------------------------------
Thats why i make a 280 grain rebaited boattail
although it may not be a super long range bullet it does lenghten out the distance a person can shoot

Once again guys thanks for letting me post up on your board

Plains99
(.300 member)
01/06/05 12:06 AM

I have a Husqvarna Mauser 96 in 9.3X62mm with standard open sights. Good Sellier & Belloit and Igman rounds can be purchased in the USA for about $20 a box. I've hunted with a lot of different calibers and the more I use this rifle the more I like it. It is accurate and hits very hard for a moderate velocity rifle. I haven't been discouraged by the recoil...in fact I enjoy shooting the cartridge. I have around $700 in the rifle with a complete restoration job. I know this is an odd caliber for North America but you can buy a CZ for less than $500 over the Internet. If you plan to go to Africa a .375 is probably a better choice because of regulations in many areas. But next time I'm going to take the 9.3 and use it for everything but big buffalo.

Bighammer
(.275 member)
15/06/05 05:28 PM

Winchester Mod 70 Classic Stainless, .375 H&H, Schmidt & Bender 1.5-6 x 42 Zenith scope in Leupold quick release mounts.

There are better finished rifles around but they cost an arm and a leg!

Plains99
(.300 member)
17/06/05 01:03 AM

I've heard several gunsmiths claim that the new Model 70's have outstanding triggers...perhaps among the best of any production rifle.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
17/06/05 10:32 AM

Could be any of the following:

1. The one you shoot best with
2. The one gifted to you by someone you love - your father or wife
3. The one you admire and want to have but cannot afford (kind of like wanting a supermodel or actress as a mistress)

I know the best rifle in the world in my opinion. It is a single shot 22 lr with a side swinging block that belonged to my closest friend and childhood hunting buddy from about twenty five years ago. He left India never to return and I bought the rifle from his mother just before I moved to the USA. I don't have it with me, but it is a reminder of my boyhood and a fantastic one at that. I don't think there is a better rifle in the world!

Cheers.

Marty
(.300 member)
18/06/05 12:07 AM

Bunnies to Elephant.

And cheap too...

Guess that counts out Mike 378's $4000 375RUM, much less the $13000 Weatherby in .460.

The worlds a big place. Calibre choice (therefore ammo availability) needs to be considered.

mehulkamdr says the one you shoot best with. Trouble is if I shoot well with it, and everyone else in the world doesnt, it is hardly the best rifle in the world, is it?

I would say, that I can get 30/06 ammo in just about every country. I would say I can shoot a rabbit and get a feed off it with a 30/06 if I hit it right. I would think I could drop an Elephant with a 30/06 if I hit it right. I'm thinking I need a good size magazine if I'm going to not do that.

I'm actually leaning to the BAR. Its neither fish nor fowl but in the context of the question I'm not thinking of a whole lot of other answers. Trouble is its probably not legal in a lot of places, and the price puts it in Mikes league I suspect.

So a Rem 7600 in 30/06 with a detachable 10 round Box mag and a low powered scope. $800 2nd hand tops. Bunnies (just) to Ele (just). And I can get ammo at the Rabbit Flat roadhouse, or the local sports store in Niger.

jro45
(.300 member)
18/06/05 11:55 PM

My Sako 375 Hunter I'd say that this rifle would be an all round rifle and it isn't a arm and a leg cost. So I could say it would classify as worlds best. My 338 Rem Ultra Mag.
Would also classify as worlds best.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
23/06/05 02:18 PM

Marty,

If you shot well with a rifle and called it the best in the world, I would believe you.

What was it about never criticising someone else's gun, dog or wife (in that order)?

Good hunting!

WyoJoe
(.300 member)
23/06/05 02:49 PM

My vote would definitely go for the .375 H&H. You can get ammo for it just about anywhere. Like Old Sarge says "one planet, one rifle". It will take anything. I have one built on an Interarms Mark X action. It is the one I want in my hands when & if I ever get to go for buffalo in Africa.

If I was doing it all over again and didn't have the Interarms action I would go with the CZ 550 and a good synthetic stock.

luv2safari
(.400 member)
23/06/05 02:56 PM

I not too long ago bought a Husqvarna Husky Dlx in 7X57 Ackley. It is without a doubt the best shooting rifle I have ever owned; there have been about 100+ cycle through my hands or get to stay here... I am constantly trading and upgrading... It is the only way I'd ever get to play with all these neat toys on my budget.

I bought the rifle from my pawnbroker buddy for $200.00 out the door, sales tax and Brady check included. It was topped off with a Leupold VariX 3X9. I brought it home and fire formed twenty brass, then neck sized them with my 7X57 I.C.L. Tortilla dies, loaded my pet I.C.L. load and shot 100 yard five shot ragged holes! This little wonder shoots far better than I do. I used it this last August and took an antelope (pronghorn) at 330 yards. I was meat hunting and tried a neck shot...made a neck shot.

Now, tell me that this Husky isn't the world's best rifle; you'll never convince me otherwise.

Balaso
(.224 member)
27/06/05 04:20 PM

Carl Gustav 6.5.55 cost peanuts, very reliable and allows heaps of newcomers to enjoy the game.

I guess that for many the best will be the one that they can afford and will give them heaps of satisfaccion.

At the end how many of you would like to have 20 different best favorites rifles in the safe???

Happy shooting

Paatti
(.333 member)
09/12/10 04:41 AM

Best allround rifle is definitely Finnish M28-30 "Pystykorva". Accurate, reliable and good looking.
Caliber 7,62x53R is one of the best allround calibers. And if you cant find one you can always buy M39 "Ukko-Pekka" which is allmost evenly good.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
09/12/10 11:41 AM

I thought I'd revive this fun, old topic vi our Facebook page and get some of our Facebook members to participate in this old discussion. So far we have two responses:

Jim Gross (Yes, the television personality): The bolt-action is the best rifle in the world. It possesses the overall qualities that put it there: true long range accuracy - doubles, singles, autos & pumps don't have this; repeating action - doubles are faster through TWO shots but bolts often hold five rounds, pumps & autos hold an advantage here; they can shoot all but the HUGEST calibers, while autos & pumps come nowhere near this. Oh, BTW, even though I've owned my share of doubles, I've been a pre-64 Model 70 guy since Hector was a pup!

Beau Williams: Depends on the purpose. Holland and Holland 500 Double for elephants, 408 Cheytac for terrorists, 340 Weatherby for Elk, Cooper 20 VT for varmints.....

May the discussion continue!

458Win
(.333 member)
09/12/10 03:27 PM

The best rifle in the world ? It's the one you have in your hand when you need it.

My MkX 458 WM has filled that bill for me on all too many occasions so would be my pick

DarylS
(.700 member)
10/12/10 02:21 AM

I'm with Phil's philosophy - the 'best' rifle has to be your 'friend'. For me - it's this one - favourite for just over 30 years and 15,000 rounds in .458 2". settled on 51.5gr. H4198 400gr. Barnes Spitzer W/.049" jackets, 2,160fps. It was also my head-shooting grouse rifle - 15gr. AL8 and a 230 Speer Swaged - on the post at 25 yards.

szihn
(.400 member)
10/12/10 04:03 AM

Best?

For me, there are 2.
And I own them both.

But I should be a mature adult about this.

Both made on Mausers.
One in 270 Winchester, and one in 375H&H.
Naa na na nA NAAA naaa.

VonGruff
(.400 member)
10/12/10 05:52 AM

For me there are the ones in my safe, and they are there because they are the best in every respect for what I need them to do.However if I had to nail my flag to a mast it would have to be with my 7x57 built on a 1908 DWM. Aperture sighted with a 160gn cast boolit at 2415fps on the little stuff up to Fallow, with the 160gn Woodliegh at 2700fps for a the larger ones. Have a scope in qd rings to suit a 120GS Custom at 3235fps for a bit of range. Yeah I could do it all if I had to with my 7x57.

Von Gruff.

Tatume
(.400 member)
10/12/10 11:09 AM

In my case the choice has to be a muzzle loading rifle. This is based on the fact that I can hunt with a muzzle loader in every county in Virginia, but centerfire guns are subject to a patchwork quilt of regulations. Some counties prohibit shotgun slugs but allow buckshot, some places prohibit buckshot but allow slugs, some counties prohibit centerfire rifles, some allow centerfire rifles. It's a mess. But I can use my muzzle loader everywhere, all the time. That's what I do too, use the muzzle loader all season long.

CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
10/12/10 11:34 PM

Quote:

In my case the choice has to be a muzzle loading rifle. This is based on the fact that I can hunt with a muzzle loader in every county in Virginia, but centerfire guns are subject to a patchwork quilt of regulations. Some counties prohibit shotgun slugs but allow buckshot, some places prohibit buckshot but allow slugs, some counties prohibit centerfire rifles, some allow centerfire rifles. It's a mess. But I can use my muzzle loader everywhere, all the time. That's what I do too, use the muzzle loader all season long.

You should move west of the Blue Ridge!

Curl

magnum308
(.275 member)
10/12/10 11:45 PM

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/kentucky/2007/09/50-best-guns-ever-made

Tatume
(.400 member)
11/12/10 02:11 AM

Hi Curl,

Our family farm in Bedford County, where my Mother was born (and her father and his father), is still in the family. It belongs jointly to my brother, sister, and I. Also, my home county of Gloucester (and two of the three adjoining counties) allow centerfire rifles. But, I hunt in lots of other counties too. The muzzle loader still works out the best for me.

Thanks for the invite though.

szihn
(.400 member)
11/12/10 02:59 AM

DarylS
(.700 member)
11/12/10 03:04 AM

Interesting- more times than now, it is a firearm already in the hands of the poster - a favourite and friend.

"The World's Best Rifle" is not some longed for or wished for rifle of incredible wormanship, engraved and custom made with an alarming list price, but in most instances, a simple hunting rifle.

Rule303
(.416 member)
24/01/11 05:48 PM

Depends on how you define "Best" If it is the most produced, used by more people in more countries than any other, reliable and easy to use then surely it is the AK47.

rscott
(.333 member)
24/01/11 10:27 PM

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
25/01/11 08:41 AM

Steve,

You can't just post pics and not post any details!

Absolutely splendid! More information, please!

Rule303
(.416 member)
27/01/11 05:48 PM

Yep I prefer the L1A1 or SLR as we called it in Aussie. Though that one looks more like the FAL, it is not one of our SLR's from what I can see.

Cheers
Greg

kamilaroi
(.400 member)
27/01/11 06:34 PM

FN-FAL carbine variant. Calibre maybe major battle?

rscott
(.333 member)
27/01/11 10:02 PM

Brazilian Metric FAL manufactured by IMBEL. as you are no doubt aware, quite versatile and lethal.
7.62 NATO cal.
RS

chuck375
(.333 member)
06/02/11 11:45 AM

Here's a nice option if you like wood, a Griffin and Howe 375 Weatherby Magnum built on a pre-64 M70 action ...

http://www.gunsinternational.com/GRIFFIN...01A90045E586427

sirrocco
(.275 member)
21/03/11 04:32 PM

A rather big and interesting question for sure. Well unless big bruins or bovines are a regular on the menu then a well put together Dakota bolt actioned .30 cal magnum with say a 2.5-10x schmidt similar scope in Talley rings would be my pick. Simply because for the dollars spent one would end up with a rig that would serve one extremely well for many moons on most occasions near and far. If one is always having to stop big beasts then of course something with a far bigger hole would be approriate.

DarylS
(.700 member)
22/03/11 01:44 PM

This is a good one. I would say the best would be same deal in a DR.

mauserand9mm
(.400 member)
22/03/11 09:34 AM

Certainly alot of desireable rifles out there, but I do miss my M14.

lancaster
(.470 member)
22/03/11 08:33 PM

hard to believe that there can be doubt about the Mauser 98

crkennedy1
(.375 member)
23/03/11 01:50 AM

The last word - the world's best rifle is the one in your hand that either takes down that trophy of a lifetime, or shoots the psycho breaking into your home...

Reggie
(.224 member)
05/04/11 06:02 AM

It's hard to beat a good Model-70 Winchester - regardless of caliber!

A close second is a good 98-Mauser (on which the M-70 Win was based). After all, the several millions used by the Germans (TWO wars, remember), Dutch, Boors, Cheqs, etc. should show the the 98 just plain works.

Now, a better question than "the worlds best rifle"; what caliber do you want? And, why?

Reggie

bigmaxx
(.375 member)
06/04/11 02:51 AM

I would choose the Ruger Hawkeye in .375 ruger caliber. It comes as a 20" barreled model with Hogue stock, or the venerable African. Should be easy on the pocket and they work very well. Ammo is available readily as are reloading components. I love mine. Worked well on african plains game and on deer and wild hogs. I have the African in .375 and the Alaskan in .416 and use them often. The Hogue stock seems to lessen felt recoil too!

magnum308
(.275 member)
13/08/11 03:55 PM

My pick would be a Winchester pre 64 model 70 Featherweight in .270 Win.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/50-best-guns-ever-made-gun-reviews-in-photos

"There is no magic caliber, and no magic bullet. If there were I would be inclined to nominate the .270 caliber and the 130 grain bullet for the honors. Perhaps no other caliber has compiled, with a single bullet weight, such an outstanding record on such a variety of animals at all ranges. The key to the success..of the..270 is a blend of flat trajectory coupled with versatility and manageable recoil that is pretty hard to match, let alone beat." Chuck Hawkes http://www.chuckhawks.com/270family.htm

DarylS
(.700 member)
14/08/11 03:58 AM

Yep - .270 is GREAT. Even the worlds most outspoken .270 Affectionado, the late, Jack O'Conner when asked, admitted he averaged 3.8 .270 shots per each BC moose he managed to kill.

Good grief, even my friend's wife only needs one - or two with her .270.

Actually Chuck H. should look at a .30/06 - matches the .270 on every count but when loaded to the same breech pressures & no reason it cannot be, it is WAY ahead.

Both are good all-round ctgs. with appropriate projectiles in the hands of a good shot.

greenshoots
(.300 member)
15/08/11 03:31 AM

Brazilian Metric FAL manufactured by IMBEL. as you are no doubt aware, quite versatile and lethal.
7.62 NATO cal.

+ 1 the above

greenshoots

Fontainebleu
(.300 member)
07/02/12 12:19 AM

Best regardless of price?

A Hartmann&Weiss M98 Magnum action in 375 H&H with a 7+1 Extended rigby magazine and topped off by a Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x. Price around 50.000 US dollars

On a "budget"?

Probably a Gottfried Prechtl M98 standard in 9,3x62. Around 9.000 dollars.

CarlsenHighway
(.300 member)
09/02/12 10:11 PM

chucknelson
(.224 member)
16/08/12 09:12 AM

A Mark Penrod built 7X57. Add a barrel chambered for 9.3X62 if you wish.

500grains
(.416 member)
16/08/12 12:38 PM

Quote:

Probably a Gottfried Prechtl M98 standard in 9,3x62. Around 9.000 dollars.

I would go for one in .375.

Tom30887
(.275 member)
16/08/12 12:57 PM

This thread might as well be 'do you have a favorite child?'

Lol it's impossible to pick one.

But for my big bore I love my ruger safari magnum in 458 Lott. It's been restocked with a nice piece of walnut and has some minor engraving but not to much. I left it open sight.

My smaller bore favorite and also the cheapest gun I own. Is my weatherby vanguard blued synthetic in 257wby mag. Has a Leupold vx2 4-12x40. And I shoot 80grn tipped triple shocks. it's cheap and I dont care for it as much so I seem too have it in my hands out bush as I don't mind if it gets marked. It kills like nothing else and is flat as a 10 year old girl.

Homer
(.416 member)
16/08/12 06:12 PM

G'Day Fella's,

I recently purchease a new Kimber 84L Montana in .25-06 and let me say, for a Yuppy factory rifle, it's pretty bloody good!
It's as ugly as a Pug Dog but it's a very nicely made, practical and lite huntin rifle!
I have fitted Talley bases and QD rings on it, and I'm thinking of a Zeiss 3-9 or 3.5 -10 with the Rapid Z 600 reticle.

Doh!
Homer

bonanza
(.400 member)
16/08/12 10:25 PM

Heym 9.3x74R double with a QD Swarovski 1.2x4 30mm.

bonanza
(.400 member)
18/08/12 01:03 AM

Here is another rifle that would be a winner.

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...&GunID=2131

panther
(.224 member)
22/08/12 01:56 PM

mehulkamdar wrote:

"Could be any of the following:

3. The one you admire and want to have but cannot afford (kind of like wanting a supermodel or actress as a mistress)

I know the best rifle in the world in my opinion. It is a single shot 22 lr with a side swinging block that belonged to my closest friend and childhood hunting buddy from about twenty five years ago. He left India never to return and I bought the rifle from his mother just before I moved to the USA. I don't have it with me, but it is a reminder of my boyhood and a fantastic one at that. I don't think there is a better rifle in the world!
Cheers."

Hi,
And may I ask Mr. Mehul Kamdar what specie exactly were you 'hunting' with .22 LR in India???
As far as I know the legal hunting of all wildlife was prohibited by law under Wildlife Protection Act of 1972 with several amendemnts & different level of penalties. Virtually all Wildlife is protected under this act -Schedule 1 to 4- exceptions -Schedule 5- are Crows & Rats which are considered vernins.
There are some other exceptions provided within law such as for protection of human life & in certain rare cases for standing crops. I have experience with both the exceptions provided by law.
In year 1986 I was permited -The Chief Wildlife Warden being an acquintance- to hunt down a menacing cattlelifter in Kangra Region of Himachal Pradesh (Lower Himalayan reaches), my first posting as a young lieutenant. Almost 2 months elapsed by the time I made preperations & got all the info from the locals -being an outsider I was not completely fimiliar with the area. Meanwhile the leopard was not sitting idle he graduated from a petty cattlelifter to a confirmed man-killer (not maneater, he never ate the human victim) by attacking a small herd boy attending his mixed herd of sheep & goats. The end came one evening when I shot him dead on the outskirts of a small village where he was lingering looking for an easy food. Later we found he was in good health, the only explanation I could think of was scarcity of wild game. Weapon used was a Rem model 1917 in 3006, firring a Win Silvertip 180 gr Rn.
Another man-killer/cattle lifter leopard was killed by me in 1988 near our family farm in Dehradun region of Shivalik Ranges (again, lower Himalayas). Incidentlly, it's the place is not far from where F W Champion (Indain Forest Service) did most of his photography & documented it in his books: (1) With a Camera in Tiger Land & (2) The Jungle in Sunlight & Shadow. He has already killed 3 people on different occassions who were protecting their herds, one being our farmhand & another a nomad buffalo herder known to our family for many years. I was given permission by the Chief Wildlife Warden of our area to shoot the animal. This particular Leopard was known to me by it's footprints, he has been in the area for several years. After several attempts I shot him over his kill one night, with the same rifle & same ammo.
Another incidence which ended in a disaster for me being penalized for shooting a rouge elephant. This elephant was a known crop raider and has chased the buffalo herders & crop watchmen from their posts many a times and has been reported to kill (unconfirmed) several people -across the river in another forest range- pulling them from the trees or platforms. But due to some foolish religious sentiments local authorities were reluctant to declare it a rouge.
Year & year again it has raided & destroyed our paddy sugar cane crops and uprooted fruit trees, he was getting bolder with with every year attacking & chasing the night watchmen from there watch towers (raised platform). One late evening a farmhand came running shouting hysterically that the elephant has attacked one of the watch platforms and that the watchman was still on that platform when this guy got a chance to wade through the crop. I immediately took my Sako 375 H&H and followed him to the scene of action. He was not quiet I could hear him from quite far, while he was engrosed in depreditions demolishing the platform I got a chance to go around him took a position behind a large mango tree & fired on his temple, I emptied the magazine in quick succession with 2 hitting his head one neck & 2 other behind shoulder. We found him dead next morning less than 1km inside the forest. The authorities were informed & I was charged for illegally shooting a schedule 1 animal, after a long battle with the forest dept. on my lawyers advice I paid the fine, which was 400,000 ruppes in those days, just to get rid of the stress the litigation was giving me. It also spoiled my service record. Later I was told by one of the forest rangers that the case & charges was meditated by the local deputy conservative of forest because he carried a grudge against me for repeatedly expelling his illegal contractors from the adjoining reserve forest who were extracting some rare wood & were poaching wild boar by killing them with a ball of potash mixed with corn flour and instigated by a former police officer of a high rank who had a long standing land dispute with our family, his son was the public prosecutor in my case.
The reason I mentioned above incidence is though the hunting is completely banned since 1972 still poaching is rampant & is being carried out with impunity and india is losing it's wildlife with exorbitant rate.
So, if you were 'hunting' in india with a 22LR after 1973 most likely you were poaching wildlife and it's good you never get caught.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
23/08/12 12:45 AM

Isn't it wonderful how a two bit anonymous (edited) suddenly turns up on a forum and offers a sermon on hunting and poaching? Turns out the (edited) can't read and comprehend information either as my post has damn all to do with his bragging or his rant.

I guess that's what forums are about. Two bit wannabes out to talk big. Keep going on, (edited). (edited) like you are a dime a million. ROTFLMAO!

DarylS
(.700 member)
23/08/12 12:59 AM

My how we're having a lot of weather today, guys.

I agree that a special .22 might be a 'best rifle', if it has the gifted or presented traits.

Of course, the 'best' rifle might change as we age and obtain other experiences - I've had a lot of World's 'best rifles', from an early .22 Ace single shot given to me by my uncle an RCMP Cpl. at the time when I was 12 yrs. old, to my later 6.5 Mag, to a .257 Roberts IMP, and my all time favourite a .458 2" Mauser. Well, water under the bridge - that changed to a .375 Big Bore M94, then a .375/06iMP, a 9.3x62, then another .376/06IMp and now a 9.3x57. Still have many of the others, just not favourites or bests any more.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
23/08/12 01:25 AM

Moe a small time (edited) out to have a go, Daryl. This (edited) has no idea who I am and he comes up with the conclusion that I was a poacher who was lucky not to get caught. Must get tough working at an hourly job, I guess, since he also waxes orgasmic over a bloody Sako of all things . . .

Oh well, that's life, and that's what small minded forum commandos are, I guess . . .

panther
(.224 member)
23/08/12 02:55 AM

mehulkamdar wrote:
1) "Isn't it wonderful how a two bit anonymous (edited) suddenly turns up on a forum and offers a sermon on hunting and poaching? Turns out the (edited) can't read and comprehend information either as my post has damn all to do with his bragging or his rant.
I guess that's what forums are about. Two bit wannabes out to talk big. Keep going on, (edited). (edited) like you are a dime a million. ROTFLMAO!"
2) "Moe a small time (edited) out to have a go, Daryl. This (edited) has no idea who I am and he comes up with the conclusion that I was a poacher who was lucky not to get caught. Must get tough working at an hourly job, I guess, since he also waxes orgasmic over a bloody Sako of all things . . .
Oh well, that's life, and that's what small minded forum commandos are, I guess . ."

Hi,
Your frustration & foul language is giving me a fine idea who you are, what's your background & what opinion you hold about others. Truth is bitter to swallow, isn't Mr. Kamdar??
You can write a whole lot of things on the internet but when it comes to experience you have to go through lot of practicles.
You haven't answered the question yet. What species exactly were you hunting with your .22 LR in India???

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
23/08/12 05:49 AM

Actually, (edited), you brought the poaching issue up. No, I did not hunt any animals with my rifle. I kept it to stop people like (edited) from raping children. Now, will you tell me why they did this?

Tatume
(.400 member)
23/08/12 06:26 AM

Dear Mehul,

Quote:

I know the best rifle in the world in my opinion. It is a single shot 22 lr with a side swinging block that belonged to my closest friend and childhood hunting buddy from about twenty five years ago.

I've been thinking of building such a rifle from scratch. Would you be so kind as to post photos of the action?

Thanks, Tom

FATBOY404
(.400 member)
23/08/12 06:41 AM

I think we can do without the accusations and name calling can't we ?.

Take it to PM or leave it alone please.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
23/08/12 06:43 AM

Tatume,

The rifle is in India. I'll get you pics from there.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
23/08/12 06:44 AM

FATBOY404,

Happy to. Shouldn't this be directed first at the anonymous (edited) who accused me of poaching?

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/08/12 04:16 PM

Quote:

I think we can do without the accusations and name calling can't we ?.

Take it to PM or leave it alone please.

Yes please cut out the name calling. It doesn't impress anyone.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/08/12 04:39 PM

Quote:

mehulkamdar wrote:

"Could be any of the following:

Cheers."

Hi,
And may I ask Mr. Mehul Kamdar what specie exactly were you 'hunting' with .22 LR in India???
As far as I know the legal hunting of all wildlife was prohibited by law under Wildlife Protection Act of 1972 with several amendemnts & different level of penalties. Virtually all Wildlife is protected under this act -Schedule 1 to 4- exceptions -Schedule 5- are Crows & Rats which are considered vernins.
There are some other exceptions provided within law such as for protection of human life & in certain rare cases for standing crops. I have experience with both the exceptions provided by law.

The reason I mentioned above incidence is though the hunting is completely banned since 1972 still poaching is rampant & is being carried out with impunity and india is losing it's wildlife with exorbitant rate.
So, if you were 'hunting' in india with a 22LR after 1973 most likely you were poaching wildlife and it's good you never get caught.

Firstly most of this attack seems off topic to the thread subject.

that belonged to my closest friend and childhood hunting buddy from about twenty five years ago. He left India never to return and I bought the rifle from his mother just before I moved to the USA.

Secondly Panther I read his comments as saying the rifle belonged to a "hunting buddy". Where does it say Mehul hunted with the rifle himself? And only owned the rifle just before leaving himself.

Mehul needs to cut out the name calling.

Thirdly your claims above are somewhat incorrect. There is limited forms of hunting in India. Wild boar being one species. Nilgai has had some hunting sometimes before the "anti cow hunting nutjobs" stopped it because its name translates Blue Bull and the "animal worshippers" think it might be holy. Other species too.

Fourthly, regarding poaching in India. I make no comment on your claims and the individuals in this thread. But in a country which as you claim has banned almost all hunting, what real man, what real hunter wouldn't poach! I would without a doubt. If the laws of a country are so ridiculous and stupid, real people and free people ignore them. I'm not saying kill tigers for profit by selling their pizzles or whatever to dickless Chinese men. I'm saying who wouldn't go out and hunt a hare, or a peacock, or a duck for meat. Or a boar, or an antelope. Especially if they are numerous.

As youths I bet many of us on NE have gone out with an air rifle or .22 in any case, or some 'plinking' in the bush.

Hunting in India is actually rampant. I know of people who hunt there right now. I was invited to go waterfowling there. But don't fancy the risk of legal implications for a duck . But why shouldn't there be limited managed hunting? India could have a profitable safari industry like Tanzania. And profits spent wisely hire local people, hire anti poaching patrols etc, make the game valuable for local people so there is less poaching.

But we know someone somewhere probably worships that goose one is about to shoot as a revered ancestor or god or something ... so it is impossible ...

Some might say "the species are being exterminated!" Better to limit the unfettered population growth and massive encroachment of the few remaining natural areas left in India.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/08/12 04:57 PM

Quote:

what is the best all round rifle in the world that wont cost an arm and a leg this includes caliber and make of rifle

A post on the topic!

Reading the comments rather than the title.

Best all round rifle in the world.

Key points -> all round - various forms of hunting.
and -> in the world - handle hunting the world around.
and -> best - to me best does not mean expensive, it means best for the job.

The calibre has to handle the entire world species so only one, the .375. IMO the ammo needs to be widely available so it is the .375 H&H Magnum. I don't have much time for the latter pretenders anyway. Why not a 9.3mm? Because while good, they are not legal for DG in many African countries.

The make or rifle. I'm not going to name the make other than saying a Mauser 98 actioned rifle. Various makers, of the past and present. Available second hand, custom, etc.

One can hunt elephant with a .375. One can hunt a deer, or a pig. It has a similar trajectory to a .30-06 so with the right bullets one could even use it in the mountains for medium range shots. As one can do on African plains as well. About the only limitation is small game such as rabbits, hares, etc

Myself I think there is NO all round calibre. One needs at least a small game rifle as well, though a shotgun will do that.

My .375 H&H Magnum is a M98 Whitworth rifle bought second hand.

Mike_Bailey
(.400 member)
24/08/12 02:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As youths I bet many of us on NE have gone out with an air rifle or .22 in any case, or some 'plinking' in the bush.

Guilty as charged but happy with the memories, best, Mike

mckinney
(.400 member)
25/08/12 05:33 AM

I think Mehul's original reply (before the minor skirmish!) is the best yet in terms of a lover of rifles, all things considered.

In terms of a cold, analytical response I'd say the .375 H&H is about as good as it gets for cartridges. An early G&H or Hoffman on an original mag mauser action, or an early model 70 would get my vote for the rifle. With that cartridge and rifle you can kill just about anything that walks, you can find the ammo anywhere, and the cartridge itself is beautiful to behold.

Of course it won't work for squirrels, etc. so you'll need a .22 I like the Mauser MM410B myself.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com