Homer
(.416 member)
03/12/17 07:11 PM
125 Years of Excellent service

G'Day Fella's,

Here's a link to a thread (about???), that I started on the Nosler forum.
https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36772

Looking forward to you, contributing to this here.

Doh!
Homer

93x64mm
(.416 member)
04/12/17 08:44 AM
Re: 125 Years of Excellent service

Grand old rifle Homer aren't they!
I do have a one myself, albeit not so good original but in .32-20.
Boy I wish the old calibres were still options!
The sights are getting rather difficult for me to use well now (bloody eyes), but it is a lot of fun to shoot.
Got mine specifically to teach the younger ones, especially when graduating from a .22LR.
The blast from say a .223 can be off-putting for them.
I have worked out a sub-sonic load that gets just over 800fps (2.5gn Trail Boss) for the 115gn pill; & works wonders!
The 'Rook & Rabbit' 1200fps loads come next (I have gone to 1500 fps in mine but that is all I dare go on the loading scale for this rifle).
Even with my top loads there is virtually no recoil - but they do bark a bit more.
Slow & steady steps!
Yes the red dot on your rig may look out of place, but when your eyes start to deteriorate - you have no choice but to compromise somewhere!
Would make bullet placement/lead so much easier.
Great to see the '92 being built again. With new steel yours will be a lot tougher than mine, so that .45LC will make a bloody good pig thumper.
Obviously will you reload them hotter than a pistol load so they certainly still have some punch even out at 100m!

Homer
(.416 member)
04/12/17 11:29 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks 9.3x64, and as you mention (in detail), the 92's are such a flexible firearm.

With the able advice of Daryl S, I've been running 300 grain 0.452" bullets thru this rifle, at 1500+ (1560?) fps. You know when you cut one off at the bench but in the field, it's not noticed.

Here is a Wikipedia link on Mr Browning, I hope you enjoy the read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Browning

Doh!
Homer

93x64mm
(.416 member)
05/12/17 07:14 AM

I have been to the Browning museum in Ogden, could have spent a hell of a lot more time there!
It spins you out how talented JMB actually was!

Homer
(.416 member)
05/12/17 09:15 AM

G'Day Fella's,

93x64 the Browning Museum, is on my Bucket List, and thank you for the heads up, I'll set aside lots of time for it.

As a Fitter-Machinist myself, I constantly marvel at what people in the past, mass produced with what they had back then (re; only Carbon steel, cutting tools). And still did such a great job of it!

We are so lucky.

Doh!
Homer

xausa
(.400 member)
05/12/17 09:30 AM

The basic design of the 1892 is even older, since it is basically the 1886 Winchester reduced in size to handle pistol size cartridges.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
06/12/17 07:29 AM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

93x64 the Browning Museum, is on my Bucket List, and thank you for the heads up, I'll set aside lots of time for it.

As a Fitter-Machinist myself, I constantly marvel at what people in the past, mass produced with what they had back then (re; only Carbon steel, cutting tools). And still did such a great job of it!

We are so lucky.

Doh!
Homer

Trust me Homer it'll definitely spin your wheels!!!!
Also has a great railway & car museum there too!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com