tophet1
(.400 member)
24/10/11 08:35 PM
7mm Remington Magnum

It's not often you buy a new rifle specifically for use as a 'loaner' or to be dragged through the scrub as a 'bush' gun but I have done just that.

Through a good contact I picked up a new, cheap Weatherby Vanguard PF rifle in blue and wood. I have so far floated the barrel, slipped a few plastic cards under the Nock's Form and left it at that (for now). The trigger is very crisp but quite heavy. Scope is a little used Redfield 3-9x40 in Warne Q/D rings. Base was a Weaver picatinny rail that obstructed the loading port so I cut out the centre bridge for faster reloading.

Factory W-W 150 grain SP ammo was used to break in the barrel. Accuracy could best be described as minute-of-large-game.

I plan to use 160 grain Woodleighs. Does anyone have AR/Hodgdon Extreme powder recommendations ?

FATBOY404
(.400 member)
24/10/11 09:12 PM
Re: 7mm Remington Magnum

Quote:

It's not often you buy a new rifle specifically for use as a 'loaner' or to be dragged through the scrub as a 'bush' gun but I have done just that.

Through a good contact I picked up a new, cheap Weatherby Vanguard PF rifle in blue and wood. I have so far floated the barrel, slipped a few plastic cards under the Nock's Form and left it at that (for now). The trigger is very crisp but quite heavy. Scope is a little used Redfield 3-9x40 in Warne Q/D rings. Base was a Weaver picatinny rail that obstructed the loading port so I cut out the centre bridge for faster reloading.

Factory W-W 150 grain SP ammo was used to break in the barrel. Accuracy could best be described as minute-of-large-game.

I plan to use 160 grain Woodleighs. Does anyone have AR/Hodgdon Extreme powder recommendations ?

JOHN !! What the hell are you doing ?.

264 win mag and now a 7mm mag.

What happened to "big projectile slow".

All good,you need to have a play to learn hey mate.

Show us some photo's when you can.

We all need a knock about rifle.

MarkR
(.333 member)
24/10/11 09:28 PM

Hehe.....What Neale said ^^^^^^^^

Cheers,
Mark.

tophet1
(.400 member)
24/10/11 10:13 PM

Lol. I'm not shooting the bloody thing. ( It's a loaner and that's the excuse I'm sticking with ).

Next hunting trip it's the 9.3x62 with only Express sights (Hope to get some video too).

Ripp
(.577 member)
24/10/11 11:36 PM

I have some loads using Reloader 22 if that would help..
shooting 150 gr Swift Scirroco's...

let me know and I can shoot you an PM..

thx

Ripp

Homer
(.416 member)
25/10/11 09:22 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Tophet1, you said you placed some plastic cards under the Nock's Form, to float the barrel!
Unfortunately, with the Weatherby/Howa type action, you need to have the very bottom of the action recoil lug in contact with the stock at the bottom of the stock inletting, at this point!
This may be having an effect on the poor accuracy, you are experiencing!!!

Here is how you can float the barrel with out altering or removing any stock wood!
Cut out and place one (or more) thicknesses of plastic membership card or credit card (without the embossed numbers) etc under the bottom of the action recoil lug and tang. What this does is raise the metal work upwards and not only floats the barrel in the stock but also floats the action between these two points!

The best way to achieve this, is to mark out the size and shape you will need (on the plastic card), with a fine tip marking pen. This will be the size and shape of the bottom of the Recoil Lug and Tang, ONLY! Then drill (or Wad Punch out) the two action screw clearance holes (6.5mm Dia) in the correct place. Now cut out the final shape of these spacers with a pair of scissors and drop them into place in the stock inletting. Now place a business card in the barrel channel, at the tip of the stock forend and reassemble the rifle. The b/card acts to center the barrel in the channel, so when the rifle is reassembled, remove the b/card. You can also use this b/card to slide the length of the barrel channel, to confirm the barrel is floating.

Sounds simple and it is!

This is not a replacement for a good pillar type bedding job but it is a quick way to float a barrel, to see if there are any bedding problems and or an improvement in accuracy.

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

tophet1
(.400 member)
26/10/11 12:57 AM

Thx Homer. I'll certainly do that. Who said nothing good comes out of Canberra ?

Ripp
(.577 member)
27/10/11 04:23 AM

Send you a PM.
thx

Ripp

Rule303
(.416 member)
30/10/11 08:36 PM

John how is the "Loner" going?

tophet1
(.400 member)
30/10/11 09:33 PM

Hand load testing starts tomorrow. I'll try to get some pics.

tophet1
(.400 member)
31/10/11 03:11 PM

Well here is the rifle. The forend appars to be rosewood. It is definantly different to the stock wood when I floated the barrel. The stock gives me a very good cheek weld and stability which surprised me. I decided to try some handloads before useing Hommers bedding suggestions. The recoil pad is very hard.

And my first three groups.

Brass Unfired W-W
Primer Federal LR magnum match
Projectile Woodleigh 160 PPSN seated with base level at case neck and shoulder.
Powder AR2225 (Retumbo)
OAL 3.400"
Pressure Signs Nil

I think the 71 grain load is a keeper

FATBOY404
(.400 member)
31/10/11 11:15 PM

It likes it hot like most magnums.
Go another 1/2 or full grain John. It's only a loaner so go hard early !!.

tophet1
(.400 member)
01/11/11 12:33 PM

Well 72 grains blew the three shot group out to 1.095" at 100 yards and showed some cratering in the primers so that will do. 71 grains it is. Now to kill something ....

I have a few loads for 140 grain projectiles and I will try them over the next few weeks.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
01/11/11 02:23 PM

Quote:

Brass Unfired W-W
Powder AR2225 (Retumbo)
OAL 3.400"
Pressure Signs Nil

I usually do 3 x 3 shot groups for hunting rifles. Sometimes the average of the three groups for each load is quite different from the first group only. And not due to shooting differences.

tophet1
(.400 member)
10/11/11 02:04 PM

Got my Chrono back from a fellow forum member and chrono'd the loads.

71 grains of 2225 and 160 Woodleigh PPSN's got an average of 2,908 fps from the 24" barrel. Exactly what I expected and I'm very happy with that.

Just for comparison the accuracy load in my 7x57 is 43 grains of 2209 under the same projjie for 2,405 fps.

One day I'll run a penetration test and see what happens. Will higher velocity drive a premium projectile deeper ? or will it just expand into a large frontal mass and come up short ?

Rule303
(.416 member)
12/11/11 08:44 PM

John, I would be happy with those results, especially as it is a "Loner". Be interested in the penatration tests when you do them.

ovny
(.375 member)
20/11/11 10:07 PM

Quote:

Well here is the rifle. The forend appars to be rosewood. It is definantly different to the stock wood when I floated the barrel. The stock gives me a very good cheek weld and stability which surprised me. I decided to try some handloads before useing Hommers bedding suggestions. The recoil pad is very hard.

Brass Unfired W-W
Powder AR2225 (Retumbo)
OAL 3.400"
Pressure Signs Nil

Hi, this cartridge (7 MRI) is highly appreciated by the Spanish to hunting and stalking, but often do not know which end to use as I have a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 but a little rough lol. I'd like to ask the viewer what it's like it has a price Redfield very interesting and is backed by Leupold is already in itself a guarantee. Thank you,

Oscar

tophet1
(.400 member)
20/11/11 11:52 PM

Well we just got back from useing this combination on some camels and other ferals. The 160 woodleigh at less than 50 metres failed to exit one 30kg feral animal. It was DRT so no failure but it was a very surprising result.

My son shot a herd alpha breeding male (largest bull in a herd) at 100-150 metres. The killing round entered at the right rear on a quartering away shot. From the reaction of the camel shortly after, it must have destroyed the liver causing a massive and complete loss of blood pressure as it dropped on the spot and did not need a finisher.

The Redfield 3-9x40 worked well with adequate eye relief and was easy to mount on the rifle. All shots were in bright day light so clarity and light transmission were not tested.

ovny
(.375 member)
21/11/11 02:02 AM

Quote:

The Redfield 3-9x40 worked well with adequate eye relief and was easy to mount on the rifle. All shots were in bright day light so clarity and light transmission were not tested.

Thank you very much and congratulation for the trophies.

Oscar.

tophet1
(.400 member)
06/12/11 05:47 PM

I need to report the Redfield scope began to give inconsistant POI results on our last hunt.

I have just returned from the range after replacing it with my Zeiss Classic Diatal 6x42T #4 scope. POI is back to where it should be and a very quick snap three shot group went into 1.6". The 6x42 is a rock solid scope and well proven after going to Africa with me on my old CZ .308W in 2008. It also allows me to better watch the fall of shot with it's wide FOV.

I am now looking for a good quality 3-9x42/44 scope. Does it ever end ????

FATBOY404
(.400 member)
06/12/11 06:08 PM

John.
I bought a 2-7 vx-2 as new for $250 posted off another bloke. It has the LR reticule and is on my 375H&H.
I really like it..............Just a thought.

IMO the best value for money scope on the market is the Conquest 3-9x40,$450 on used guns with Australian warranty.

tophet1
(.400 member)
06/12/11 06:53 PM

My thoughts exactly Neale. I'll research the VX-2.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com