Woodbeef
(.275 member)
15/10/08 10:09 AM
308 Norma Magnum?

Anyone have one of these? I'm toying with the idea of building one on a HVA 4100 if it's not too hard of a job. What would it be like with a 21" barrel?

DoubleD
(.400 member)
15/10/08 01:56 PM
Re: 308 Norma Magnum?

I have one and it's one of the most accurate rifles I own. Mine is a KDF K-15 and has a 26 inch barrel. It passed the 5 shoots under an inch test when it left KDF.

Why a 21 inch barrel?

Paul
(.400 member)
15/10/08 02:36 PM

No, but I understand it to be one of the best .300 magnums. I bet Winchester wish they had necked down the 338WM and named it first.

shinz
(.300 member)
15/10/08 03:06 PM

Yes, I have one on a Zastava action with a Tony Hawkins barrel. It happily shoots 3 x 186 gr Lapuas into 5/8 " at 100 yds if I'm up to speed on the day. Easy to load for, likes IMR4831. It doesn't do anything that a 300 Win won't but I reckon it does it "nicer". By the same token, the 300 Win, or Wby too, doesn't do anything that the Norma round can't. Mine is built with a 24 " barrel. Although you won't loose as much velocity as some will tell you according to recent theories, you will gain blast by the bucket load. I would seriously recommend a 23 or 24" barrel as minimums.
Steve

Schauckis
(.300 member)
15/10/08 07:21 PM

Hi,

No real experience but the Swedes from where this comes do like it a lot.
Their main game for the magnum is elk - I don't really think they use it a lot on roe, as it would be overkill for sure!
Check Norma's website for info on available ammo. Apparently, they only have 2 loads for this so I'd be inclined to say it's not awfully popular.

Rolf
(.333 member)
16/10/08 05:11 AM

Gentlemen,

I aquired a .308 Norma Mag. from Dumoulin (an cheap experimental rifle) and it shoots pretty accurate.

I hunted once for roe deer and shot a buck at (lasered) 125m through in the heart-lung area with an exit in the off-shoulder with the Sierra 165grs HPBT Gameking. Bullet opened nice and the exit showed that you can use a little less gun for a 12kg animal.

I form the cases from .300 Win Mag brass and this functions perfect, using R904/Reloader19 powder and 180grs bullets.
I can recommend this cartridge in a rifle with a 24" barrel and I really like it!
Rolf

PS: Who needs a common cartridge?

gryphon
(.450 member)
16/10/08 05:49 AM

I have one,it kills hard and anything i want it too,a great round for sure.

osix
(.224 member)
16/10/08 05:27 PM

I've got an FN in 308 Norma, used it in Africa on plains game earlier this year with 200 grain Woodleights.
I wouldn't consider anything shorter than a 24 inch barrel, muzzle blast could be a real problem and you're not likely to achieve magnum velocities with the short barrel.
IMHO stick with the Win Mag brass and ammunition is far more readily availalbe and less expensive.

Woodbeef
(.275 member)
17/10/08 09:45 PM

The gun already has a 21" barrel on it now. It is a well used hunter that needs a new stock and a good reblue. That's why I was contemplating the caliber switch. From the sound of things though it will be too short to be of much use.

SCGunNut
(.224 member)
20/10/08 01:28 PM

I have a Parker-Hale Mauser in .308 Norma. Found it at a gun show and it followed me home. It had one of the most gaudy stocks you ever saw. Pale yellow wood, roll over cheekpiece, skip-line checkering, white line spacers, the works. Made a Weatherby look conservative. Took it out and shot it to see if it showed promise and it did so I restocked it with a nice Fajen walnut drop in. After reblueing and bedding the stock I took it back to the range. First group with factory Norma was 5/8" and it does nearly as well on demand. An ugly duckling became a thing of beauty to the eye and on the range and it is one of my favorite long shooters.

magnum308
(.275 member)
10/12/10 08:01 PM

I have a .308 Norma Mag, as anyone who has been to the classified section will know. I won't go into details here as they are all (with pics) at http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=162440&an=0&page=2#Post162440.

Now I have been doing some toying around with this calibre and funny thing the more I look at it the more I like it. So the rifle may not be that much for sale as I previously indicated. Someone's going to say, "I told you so!"

I have not shot it for a few years, instead concentrating on my .270 Win and .308 Win. But I have recently (this week) gone through some of my brass (I have several hundreds of Norma cases) and been doing a bit of case selection. I have selected around 50 or so for immediate reloading and will probably get to the range (SSAA Brisbane) in a week or so or perhaps over Christmas. I have enough AR2213SC to load these with Hornady SPBT 180 Gr Interlocks. The last time I shot it the load that was safe in my rifle was a grain or two over the ADI maximum and gave me a chronographed 3,153 fps out of my 24" Douglas premium barrel. This is a real flat shooting hard hitter at extended ranges. Although the rifle is a bit on the heavy side, it does soak up the recoil a bit.

As someone has already remarked, it's not a common calibre, but nonetheless, a classic.

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle.

gryphon
(.450 member)
10/12/10 10:17 PM

You know my post above is from the 10/16/08 and since then I had that same rifle re barrelled to .358 Norma Mag.

And since then I have purchased a commercial `98 action which as I type is having a 308 Norma M barrel screwed in amongst other jobs,the reason being is that they are a ripping calibre,hard,flat and fast,besides 300 Win mags are too common ( I have one too) and its nice to be out of a different mould at times.

magnum308
(.275 member)
10/12/10 10:27 PM

Quote:

You know my post above is from the 10/16/08 and since then I had that same rifle re barrelled to .358 Norma Mag.

And since then I have purchased a commercial `98 action which as I type is having a 308 Norma M barrel screwed in amongst other jobs,the reason being is that they are a ripping calibre,hard,flat and fast,besides 300 Win mags are too common ( I have one too) and its nice to be out of a different mould at times.

Gryphon,

Yea. I saw it was some time ago but decided to add to it. Great work on building another .308 NM, it's a great calibre. I had a .358 NM many, many years ago in, of all things a Weatherby Mk V. Only had it for a short time but took it on one hunt to Backall (Qld) after pigs. It certainly laid them flat. I loaded 220 Gr FN bullets for that hunt.

I like something different too. Now have a .375 Chatfield-Taylor (inventor of the more popular .416 Taylor), essentially a 338 Win Mag opened to .375. I'll get some loads going for this after I have settled with the .308 NM.

gryphon
(.450 member)
11/12/10 05:55 AM

I didnt know about the 375 version and one of the lads down here had a 416CT built for him by my gunsmith too and he swears by it,I have thought of building one also.

If you want to cash any of the 308nm brass yell at me M308.

szihn
(.400 member)
11/12/10 06:53 AM

I have made 9 of them for customers over the years. I worked on 3 others that I didn't build. All were everything the customers wanted.
The 308 Norma is perhaps the best of the 300s overall. Some are faster, but none are better in terms of power and accuracy without excessively fast recoil and short barrel life.
It's not popular here in the USA, but I am sure I can't say why.

But like all the 300s, you should have a longer barrel then 21" I would not go less then 24 if I were you.

gryphon
(.450 member)
11/12/10 02:06 PM

At the moment the barrel for me is 26"`s as it will be primarily a snipe at distance or a sit and wait rifle for late arvo /evening chances.

magnum308
(.275 member)
12/04/11 04:57 PM

Quote:

If you want to cash any of the 308nm brass yell at me M308.

Gryphon,

No. Quite the reverse now. I bought several hundred Norma cases (all there was in stock) when I worked at a gunshop in the 70s. Over the years I have only scrapped a few but a lot of them need FL sizing now.

The price here of new cases is around $65/20 so I put a post on a US website and found a guy with some new and once fired cases. Did the deal (at AUD US$1.02) waited 3 months for a B709A and they arrived into Australian Customs on Monday. A quick email to the customs officer that looked after my export permits for my NZ hunt last year and was told they're being transferred to the Firearns Cell in Brisbane for processing. So it looks like for around A$100 I have 80 cases delivered.

gryphon
(.450 member)
13/04/11 12:44 PM

Thats a fair enough price IMO at this time,thanks cob.

mbogo3
(.275 member)
03/01/12 12:59 PM

Easy to make .308 NM out of .300 Win mag brass. Lube .300 WM to where Norma shoulder should be and inside of neck,FL size in Norma die and trim ............Done.............I shoot a Browning safari FN 98 in .308 NM...........Harold

gryphon
(.450 member)
03/01/12 01:40 PM

I found 50 cases in the UK and have them loaded with woodleigh hydro`s atm. 180`s x 40 and 10 x 150`s.

magnum308
(.275 member)
03/01/12 04:24 PM

This is an interesting calibre/cartridge and the more I look at it the more it interests me.

I am thinking (have been for some time) of a .300 Win Mag as a long range hunting rifle (in SS/synthetic). But I am now seriously considering a 30/338 instead. It achieved quite a reputation in 1,000 yard competitions many years ago but in recent times has lost ground to the 6.5-284 and the like. However, it would fit the bill quite well and be a more efficient cartridge than the .300WM.

DarylS
(.700 member)
04/01/12 05:57 AM

I've loaded for 2 .308 Normas, both mine at one time. Nice round, and everything good said about it fits. There is really nothing to choose between the .300's as they all kill identically. The Norma just uses a bit less powder to do the same thing.

mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
04/01/12 09:24 AM

A British Columbia Elk and Mule Deer outfitter I've used a couple of times used and swore by his 308 Norma, and by his results, I can't argue with his choice.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
07/07/12 08:26 AM

Being the original short .30 its a goodie!
They can be a pain to load for especially trying to get Norma's consistancy 3060fps for 180gns & grouping. My old Parker Hale Super was done up to this 30 years ago
I could shoot 3 of these into about an inch on a good day! 71 gns of AR2209 in my rifle would get the same velocity (please start much lower than this as my rifle has been freebored) but couldn't get the accuracy! For years i changed projectiles, seating depths etc - all to no avail!
A chance meeting with one of our "Fly" shooters here in NQ solved the problem - try AP2213SC.
I finally got the magic 1" group, the load i have doesn't get to the Norma velocity, very close though but Hornady's 178 & 180gn projectiles will shoot to the same POI.
DarylS is as always spot on - a very efficient round & boy do they kill well!
93x64mm

Kiwi_bloke
(.333 member)
21/07/12 11:00 AM

My first rifle was a .308 Norma Magnum based on a Parker-Hale Mauser 98 conversion. Not what I'd recommend for a new shooter. Gave me my first "Weatherby eyebrow" and, since I didn't own eaf muffs then, also problems hearing for a week after I sighted it in. Only ever fired it at one animal, a possum, (which are pests in this counry). I didn't allow for the scope height at close range and so I shot the branch off below it. This promptly came back and knocked the animal out of the tree that it was in and it lay on the ground completely dazed. So close is sometimes good enough. It seems to me that, with 30 years more shooting experience since then, that by getting .300 magnum performance from a .30-06 sized action, it's a good cartridge in appropriate hands.

gryphon
(.450 member)
21/07/12 12:03 PM

Quote:

300 magnum performance from a .30-06 sized action, it's a good cartridge in appropriate hands.

And so is its big bro the 358NM and if you reckon the 308NM is a little fiery for new chums the 35 takes the sting out of those that "like a day at the bench"

DarylS
(.700 member)
22/07/12 03:03 AM

When the velocities rise above about 2,800fps, one must start thinking seriously about the newer premium bullets.

The .308 Norma's early 1970's acceptance here in BC probably coincided with or was related to the Norma bullets of the day - steel clad pointy/semi-round nosed with boat tails and capable of giving reasonable performance on our moose and elk. With ranges normally 300yards or closer, they worked a treat, so to speak, and did exceptionally well on goats and sheep for the climbers.

gundog
(.275 member)
30/12/13 02:22 PM

Gonna keep this one rolling. Don't own one...yet, but looking at getting a left handed one built very soon. Thought about a 300WM, but I think the Norma is the better of the two.

gryphon
(.450 member)
30/12/13 02:49 PM

And why not!

magnum308
(.275 member)
30/12/13 03:33 PM

Gundog,

I am actually thinking of getting a .300 Win Mag myself.

As I have stated in previous replies to this thread, I have a .308 NM and it is a great cartridge. But the rifle is a classic custom built by Ron Webb (back in the early 80s) and it is too heavy and too nice to take on a serious hunt where it could demonstrate its capability.

So I am thinking of a .300 WM on a FN M98 action I have sitting in my gun safe (licenced) just waiting for that special build. I have been talking for some time to my brother-in-law, Allan Swan (of http://www.allanswangunsmithing.com/) of building a light weight long range rifle in 300WM calibre. His son Grant (also in the business) has one (on a Remington 700, I think) and they get great performance and accuracy out of their barrels.

My preference would have been for a 30/338 (just to keep the cases separate from the .308 NM) as I think this is a more efficient (and classic) cartridge. But on refection, the .300 WM is a great cartridge and it would mean a wider availability of good cases (for hand loading).

The bullet I would really like to try in both (308NM & 300WM) for long range is the 208 gr Hornady A-Max. I read good reports on the http://www.longrangehunting.com/ forum of their performance as a hunting bullet. My favourite .308NM bullet (in the past) has been the 180gr Interlocks.

Cheers,
Magnum308

gundog
(.275 member)
30/12/13 04:22 PM

Magnum 308

I have read some good things about the 208gn A-Max for LR work, so like you, am keen to try them as well. This rifle will have some weight to it, 9-10lb loaded, as I like a rifle with a bit of heft, esp. in bigger cals. You only need look at usedguns.com to see the amount of T3 Lites for sale in 300 or 338 WM, that have only had a handful of rounds put through them...way too light for those rounds, in my opinion. But each to their own.

Be interested to see a pic when it's built though.

Cheers

93x64mm
(.416 member)
30/12/13 09:36 PM

Magnum308, I have an old Parker Hale 1200 done in .308NM, now over 30 years old. The Norma ammo would group consistently for 3 shots at an inch if I held it right! Trying to get handloads to be as accurate was an impossible task - until I used AR2213!
Now I have had mine long throated so please use my data with caution as it will be above stated maximum for this powder/load combination - the projectiles are set as long as possible to feed thru the magazine (85.5mm OAL).
76gn AR2213, Federal 215 primer & 180gn Hornady Flat base - averages 3020fps
76gn AR2213, Federal 215 primer & 178gn Hornady Amax - averages 3070fps (slightly more accurate)
But interestingly both shoot to the same POI.
Yes I have gone quite a bit higher but I found these loads the most accurate in my rifle & settled on these rather than just wring it out a bit more!
Sadly I have never actually had the chance (weird this may seem) to use it on the game that I intending to use it on - pigs at long distance! And yes it is an very emphatic killer of game!
It is a good solid performer, shame it never took off like the .300WM; much more efficient overall I believe!
Basically there is nothing between these 2 cartridges, but I don't like to have "common" cartridges!
Buy the way case life is extremely good, literally lost count of the times its been reloaded; just annealed the cases last year after a few split necks. I only neck size this old bird & case stretch is practically non existent.
The only problem I have with this rifle is copper fouling; the barrel (forgotten what type it is, I think it is a McGowen?) fouls badly after a 20 shot African Plains match even if taking it slowly! Plenty of elbow grease & a good dose of Sweets or Kleen bore solvent & she's back as good as ever.
I even have a .300WM Walter adaptor cartridge redone to suit the .30carbine, they shoot 3" low at 100m, averaging 1725fps - only a pop compared to the normal full loads - but great fun!
Frankly you can't go wrong with this cartridge - worth more than a just a glance!
Cheers
93x64mm

Ash
(.400 member)
18/03/15 12:18 AM

Just thinking we should all post our .308 Norma's in this thread

I'll get pics of mine, its relatively heavy at about 9lbs, but it's good that way.

Im only running 70gr 2213 with a 165gr speer gameking. Good enough for me.

It's an M1917 that i bought in 270 win with a shot out barrel. Boy did it have so much wrong with it. Terrible stock (really thin), holes drilled crooked in the reciever, rear bridge milled uneven to the front ring. But about $500 later it looks and shoots alright, i feel good to have "saved" the old girl.

DarylS
(.700 member)
18/03/15 01:54 AM

93x64 - instead of running the rod in and out a hundred times, it's sometimes best to just let it soak over night with Wipe-Out foam in the bore. Then patch that out in the AM. Clean- if not, a quick 15 minute soak with Patch-Out and Accelerator, with that patched out will finish the job. A Kroil patch to lube the pores and one to wipe out the excess will have it ready for more shooting.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
18/03/15 07:15 AM

Daryl, will have to look for those products here in Oz - sounds like they certainly do save elbow grease!
I certainly let the sweets soak in - several times! When I do have a shot I normally have a good session & clean all my rifles at once. I made up a 'flat pack' 3 gun cleaning rest that slots together so I can transport it in the truck.
It's rough really just has an old towel either end for the rifles to rest on so the wood work doesn't get bruised.
Notes on bottle about leaving Sweets in the bore greater than 10-15 minutes is nonsense really, been cleaning that rifle for 30+ years now, just takes a bit more time to do - keeps me out of the Missus' hair!
Cheers
93x64mm

gryphon
(.450 member)
18/03/15 09:21 AM

Mine barked yesterday taking a fallow buck.

DarylS
(.700 member)
18/03/15 09:48 AM

I stopped using Sweets some time ago- after reading Merril Martin's articles in Precision Shooter magazine back in the 90's. I still have over 1/2 bottle, just sitting on the shelf.

For what it's worth!

Merril had been practicing using a brand new Hawkeye bore scope, looking inside his hunting rifles, his match rifles and bench rest rifles along with any other barrels his friends would allow him to examine - along with brand new rifles before and after use of ammonia cleaners - the standard for bad copper fouling for many decades.

Merril noted that any barrel that you have started to use Sweets or any other high ammonia product in, you'd have to keep using it in that barrel due to the chemical's reaction to the steel of the barrel - presumably making it rough- only visible through the bore scope and the barrel would always a fouler.

Don't know if it's true, but do know my old match .308 barrel, always cleaned with sweets, continued to foul badly until retired after 15,000 rounds. Actually, it was only retired from match shooting - was replace with another .30 barrel, this one running 2,900fps with 110's (.30BR) and it has never seen Sweets. It barely picks up a spec of copper and that is easily handled by a 50:50 mix of Butches Bore Shine and Kroil.

The 'old' .308 barrel was cut back 6", rechambered with the top 1.5" of a .30/06 reamer to give me a 1.6" case using .303 brass cut to 1.6". I've heard that one called the .303 Pygmy, and I call mine the .30/03. .35 Rem brass trimmed to 1.6" works in this chamber with a standard bolt face. The old barrel, still 22" long and has no rifling for about 4" ahead of the chamber, still shoots under an inch with it's new chamber, 130's at 2,900fps. It needs an overnight soak in Wipe Out to get the copper out, but one night is all it needs. The .303 brass fits my Mauser magnum bolt face, just fine.

My .30/03 compared to a .30BR.

Well done, Gryphon. The Norma Mag shines! No flies on that one.

Ash
(.400 member)
18/03/15 06:14 PM

I didn't realise until finding this thread last night so many of us had .308 Normas. Mines getting taken out to Mitchell over Easter for its first run. Excited!

93x64mm
(.416 member)
18/03/15 06:57 PM

Gryphon & Ash.......bastards!
You're getting out, I'm not - bloody jealous.
Glad to head someone's having a win around here!
Daryl, tried a quick look at wipe-out, not sure if its available here in Oz from our main gunstores, seen the videos of it & boy it certainly saves a lot of work!!!
Ta
93x64mm

Ash
(.400 member)
18/03/15 07:57 PM

Don't be too jealous, this is the first time for the year...
Having said that, i am going for 5 days

I have a feeling someone at the Dalby rifle range had Wipe Out.

Ash
(.400 member)
22/03/15 11:38 PM

Here's mine. It's on an Eddystone M1917. The stock was $50, can't complain. The barrel and 48 cases was $150. It's some German barrel, made of "Laufstahl". Holds 3 in the mag and weighs i think around 9lbs (guestimate).
Cutting the flats on the rear bridge was the gunsmiths idea, and i think it looks much better with them. Scope is just a Nikko Stirling Gold Crown 4-12. It was free so can't complain there either. All in all, i like it. Dies were also free

Loaded rounds are a 165gr Sierra Gameking and same weight Hornady Z-Max. 5 are Z-max to try out, the other 43 are Gamekings. It'll get it's first run out at Mitchell over Easter hopefully!

So come on guys, post 'em up!

Igorrock
(.400 member)
23/03/15 01:17 AM

Quote:

German barrel, made of "Laufstahl".

"Laufstahl" is german language and means "barrel steel". In Austria there is big steel factory named Böhler. In older rifle barrels is quite ordinary to find text "Böhler laufstahl", sometimes with text "Antinit".

DarylS
(.700 member)
23/03/15 03:40 AM

The Sierra 165gr. Game King is a very accurate bullet in my small cased .30's, however I'm not sure it has the integrity for the speeds your .308 NM will drive it.

Much, of course, depends on the game you intend to shoot with it.

Ash
(.400 member)
23/03/15 05:54 PM

Not correcting you, but wouldn't Laufstahl mean "Air Steel"?

Igorrock
(.400 member)
23/03/15 06:12 PM

Ash, you should use net dictionary more often. Word "lauf" means quite many things in german language but in this case it means pipe/barrel.

Ash
(.400 member)
23/03/15 10:08 PM

Ok ok! I don't speak or know German, was just asking..

Heres 9.3x64's .308 Norma Magnum. It's a Parker Hale M1200. The clever fellow has a 30 carbine adapter made up for it! I want one now!

Igorrock
(.400 member)
23/03/15 10:26 PM

This would be "the next step" for those who now owns .308 Norma Magnum....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Norma_Magnum

DarylS
(.700 member)
24/03/15 02:20 AM

Interesting. I've never heard of the .300 Norma Magnum until now.

In the 60's, maybe 70's, there was at least one International shooting team, the USA Marine Team, if I recall correctly, was using a .30/.338 as their 1000yard ctg. It was called the .30/.338 then, here in NA, and I see no reason to call it anything else.

Never heard of a .300 Norma - perhaps it was called that in Europe.

93x64mm
(.416 member)
24/03/15 06:55 AM

Ash,
thanks for posting those photos for me!
For the record gents the adaptor is a Lothar-Walther one originally in .300WM, had a gunsmith turn it down to suit the .308NM. The .30 carbine loads end up 6" low at 100m & pretty much in line, yes the groups aren't anything to rave over but would be capable of taking light game at that distance if I did my part right!
Daryl, I think this one will see me out, but if I burn the barrel out it will be a stainless one to go back in. I didn't know that there was a .300NM either! From Igorrock's link its based on the .416 Rigby; Wow she'd be a barrel eater for sure!
Cheers
93x64mm

xausa
(.400 member)
24/03/15 07:46 AM

Quote:

Interesting. I've never heard of the .300 Norma Magnum until now.

In the 60's, maybe 70's, there was at least one International shooting team, the USA Marine Team, if I recall correctly, was using a .30/.338 as their 1000yard ctg. It was called the .30/.338 then, here in NA, and I see no reason to call it anything else.

Never heard of a .300 Norma - perhaps it was called that in Europe.

In the '60's several of the US service teams used the .30-.338 for long range (1000 yard) target shooting, including the Marine Corps and the National Guard. My friend Harry Creighton built several .30-.338's for National Guard shooters. In the '70's the services switched to the .300 Winchester Magnum.

I used a .30-.338 built by Creighton for several years with gratifying results. However, that rifle, as well as my .300 Winchester Magnum long range rifle built by the Marine Corps Advanced Marksmanship Unit, went the way of several other target rifles I am disposing of, now that I am no longer able to compete.

This was my Marine Corps rifle:

DarylS
(.700 member)
24/03/15 10:08 AM

I saw quite a few retired .30-338 Match rifles at Kesselring's, Alger, Washington when I lived in Surrey, B.C. I used to buy most all my supplies at Kesselring's Gun Shop. The odd time, if pressed for time, I'd stop at Yeager's in Bellingham instead.

xausa - I still have a return to battery 6-18X44 scope that will fit those blocks as well as the apertures for the rear receiver ring and the sight block at the front end. They used to reside on my Palma Rifle.

SharpsNitro
(.375 member)
24/03/15 12:53 PM

The 300 Norma is based off the 338 Norma, basically they push the shoulder of the 338 Lapua back just under 1/4". The thinking is that with the heavy bullets you keep the base from seating below the neck. The 300 was designed to shoot the 230-240gr match bullets a long way with high retained energy.

500Boswell
(.400 member)
24/03/15 08:49 PM

Had one years ago on a custom P14 with stainless barrel ,but never got to using it and sold it ,more efficient than the other big 30s and better case design ,Bob Penfold from memory used one for all his overseas safari hunting, which was a basic cut down FN Military 98 30-06 rechambered to 308NM[not restocked or anything]a swingover scope mount,[3-9 Leupold scope] so the military sights could be used if need be .Got dropped in the bottom of a river once and knocked around ,one guide said ''ive never seen a client hunt with and old gun like that '',had no trouble dropping anything with it........

4seventy
(Sponsor)
26/03/15 09:37 AM

Seeing that the Parker Hale rifles in 308NM are mentioned here, I thought this article might be of interest.
It's from Australian Outdoors magazine July 1966.

This is around the same time that Parker Hale first used the commercial "Santa Barbara" 98 action.
Earlier Parker Hale 98's were military actions.

DarylS
(.700 member)
27/03/15 03:57 AM

The bottom right book's picture seems to show the .308 is a cratered primer, almost disking, which shows excessive pressure - or an overly large pin hole around the firing pin. That is how I see the book's picture on my monitor.

Sarg
(.400 member)
27/03/15 09:00 AM

Quote:

Had one years ago on a custom P14 with stainless barrel ,but never got to using it and sold it ,more efficient than the other big 30s and better case design ,Bob Penfold from memory used one for all his overseas safari hunting, which was a basic cut down FN Military 98 30-06 rechambered to 308NM[not restocked or anything]a swingover scope mount,[3-9 Leupold scope] so the military sights could be used if need be .Got dropped in the bottom of a river once and knocked around ,one guide said ''ive never seen a client hunt with and old gun like that '',had no trouble dropping anything with it........

Early on that is correct, then he rechamered or rebarrelled to 300Win Mag, then used the 340 Weatherby Mag for the bulk of his trophy hunting !

We had 100's of 308Norma rounds in camp & we ran out of 300Win Mag cartridges, so I tested the 308Norma in the 300Win, both head spaced on the belt, so I resighted the old girl in with the 308 Norma rounds & we shoot Donkeys, Horses & some Hogs by the 100's with them !

albertan
(.333 member)
21/04/15 02:55 PM

Daryl, that you had not heard of a 300 Norma is of no consequence. You are too practical for such a round.

I doubt you would get more than 700 accurate rounds out of such a beast.

DarylS
(.700 member)
22/04/15 01:55 AM

LOL! Just what I need, an Ear-ge-schplitten-louden-boomer .30. NOT.

My only interests in long range shooting, has a hooded globe front aperture and tang mounted Soule aperture sight, but - each to his own interests.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com