NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
29/05/12 10:45 PM
Philippine Safari

I have been corresponding recently with the outfitter, Mindoro Safaris. Jay Carlson is the PH and outfitter and Mario the hunter. Both are members of the NitroExpress.com forums.

Mario posted this hunt report/story elsewhere some years ago and I thought NE members might enjoy reading about a hunt in the Philippines. An exotic location in a difficult jungle environment for some big game.

The Trip:

Dec. 29 th. Flight Milan- Dubai- Manila.

Dec. 30 th. Meeting the outfitters J.T. Carlson. Stay in Manila for two nights.

Jan 1 th. We leave from Manila to the port of Batanga ( two hours drive). Boat to the town of Calapan in Mindoro Island ( one hours)

Arrival at the resort on the beach of Calapan, where I and my wife we will stay for about a week.

Jan.2 th.

Leave in the morning with a very old Land Rover from Calapan to a citrus plantation at the base of the mountains. About 30 km, two hours drive ( the traffic is crazy, roads really bad). Rain.

At the plantation, meeting with the owner, and first contact with the Manyans, the small people of the mountains ( 1,40/ 1,50 tall - very large feet). First hunt in the jungle. Climate is unbelievably hot and humid. Water everywhere. Mountains very steep. Jungle almost impenetrable, Really difficult to walk. Plenty of leeches very aggressive. No animals seen. Lot of tracks.

Jan3Th.

Rain. The Manyans find the tracks of a warty pig. After an hour of follow-up, they see the pig in a small river about 25 meters from us. The forest is very thick. I shot one time. The pig run. Shot again 3 times. Is down. A nice bearded pig. First European hunter in the last century with this trophy. Very satisfied.

Jan. 4 th.

We look for a Forest Buffalo, the new “type†of Buffalo, smallest in size and in trophy of the Water Buffalo( about 1/3 less). He stay in the forest area at the beginning of the montains, while the Water Buffalo stay higher. Only one exemplar taken until today. The manyans know very well a bull, very aggressive, because was wounded at the nose fighting with another bull. Tracked for about two hour and half in the dense jungle. Lost and found two times. Finally we saw him in a deep canyon, looking at us under the thick vegetation ( distance 20 meters). I See only the shoulder. Three shots. He go down. He try to raise again. Another shot. Dead.! . A really interesting animal! A really happy hunter!

Jan. 5 th.

Terrible rainfalls all the day. The hunt began in the afternoon. Taken a small asian feral boar after about an hour of follow-up in the forest. One shot. Nice pig.

Jan. 6. th.

I have got the fever. Maybe the leeches.
We look for a big water buffalo all the day in the forest. Many tracks, but no animals.

Jan. 7 th.

Still fever. In the night the Manyans have found a big, old bull, up in the mountains. We climb for about 3 hours in the steep forest under frequent rainfalls and under the attack of the leeches. First tracks found in a deep canyon. After a long stalk, finally we see a big black silhouette in the dense jungle. I squeeze the trigger one, two, three, four times. The buffalo is down. I shot again. Is dead. What’s a beautiful bull! Nice trophy, big body. Great hunt. Great adventure.

Guns.

Firearms not importable in the Philippines. I used an old Garand cal. 30.06 of the II world war with military bullets. Quite heavy, but accurate for the normal shooting distance in the jungle ( never over 30 meters). Exceptional penetration.

The Outfitter

Jay T. Carson is a perfect outfitter. One of the best in my life. Also an excellent hunting guide. He do that job, not only for money but mostly for passion. We are arrived as clients and we leave as friends. Also very careful to the needs of my wife Caterina.

All the safari was organized very well from Manila to Manila.. The accommodation in a beach resort is high quality, but is also available a rustic camp in the hunting area. Food good.

The Manyans are excellent trackers. Also a very friendly and interesting people.

An unforgettable adventure.

mario

grandveneur
(.400 member)
30/05/12 03:19 AM
Re: Philippine Safari

Good report and a nice hunting trip. It reminds my hunt's in Malaysia .

Ben
(.400 member)
30/05/12 07:30 AM

A very interesting hunt.

Rule303
(.416 member)
30/05/12 08:23 AM

A very interesting hunt and well done.

I never would of thought of the Philippines as a hunting destination.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
30/05/12 08:31 PM

An exotic location. I would love to hunt there,

Will be posting some more photographs from Jay.

Mario
(.224 member)
31/05/12 12:32 AM

the article about my hunt was also published in the March/April 2008 issue of "Safari" (SCI)

Mario
(.224 member)
31/05/12 06:42 AM

Mario
(.224 member)
31/05/12 06:46 AM

Mario
(.224 member)
31/05/12 06:49 AM

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
31/05/12 06:50 AM

Mario,

Thanks for the additional photos.

I remember when you first went on the hunt. A trendsetter I think.

Ben
(.400 member)
31/05/12 01:40 PM

Thanks, Mario!

Mario
(.224 member)
01/06/12 07:43 AM

Unfortunately Jay and my wife are not the best photographers. So some very nice photos went lost.

Antlers
(.275 member)
01/06/12 01:25 PM

Using an M1 in the Philippines...seems appropriate.

Jaguarhunter
(.300 member)
16/02/15 06:12 AM

R.i.P. PH Jay

Jaguarhunter
(.300 member)
16/02/15 06:15 AM

Hi friends,

in the moment I write an article about Jay Carlson (with the help of his mother) for the biggest european hunting magazine and I need:
- Contact to some of his former clients
- Some more (hunting)storys
- Some more Pictures (specialy from the philippines)

Please:
If you can help me, please contact me with an PM.

Thank you.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
16/02/15 06:25 AM

Hi Jaguarhunter,

I have sent an email to "Mario's" listed email address re your request.

RIP Jay.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
16/02/15 09:15 PM

Craig Boddington who hunted with Jay and Mindinao Safaris in the Phillipines to take this water buffalo, the largest taken in the Phillipines. Craig wrote an article on his hunt.

Caprivi
(.375 member)
17/02/15 02:24 AM

There was a celebration of Jay's life on Saturday in Pompano Fl. USA. Was well attended.

He had succumb to kidney failure on January 11th.

lancaster
(.470 member)
17/02/15 03:47 AM

Quote:

why do they only use old military rifles? is there a problem with bringing double rifles into the country?

Caprivi
(.375 member)
17/02/15 07:40 AM

No legal importation of firearms. Have to use what is there. Jay use 12ga pump shotguns predominately.

He started in Phillipines as a Merc/Policia so had access to a few arms. He used a M-16 in a professional capacity as well as a few different sidearms.

Jaguarhunter
(.300 member)
18/02/15 08:52 AM

Hi Caprivi,

did you have hunted with Jay?

Best wishes.

Caprivi
(.375 member)
18/02/15 11:29 AM

Sadly I did not. I always had some excuse on why it would have to wait a bit. "Oh' next winter, for sure, we'll be there"......etc....that sorta nonsense.

I was notified of Jay's passing in the morning and then another man who I was to hunt with as well, but the same excuses, David Hill, his wife posted that evening of his passing.

2 tough lessons in one day

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
19/02/15 12:14 AM

Yes David Hill lived in Belize and seemed a gentleman. He operated fishing trips to some interesting and wild places in Central and Southern America.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
03/01/21 12:28 AM

BTTT for those interested, per another thread re-opened.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com