(.375 member)
24/12/17 09:39 AM
Katherine Trip

Had the opportunity to do some work in Katherine. Ten days so cut into hunting time.

A mate asked if I was interested in a hunt while we were down there. Jumped at the opportunity. Haven't taken a boar around Katherine so very keen for a look.

Got hold of Joey to bring a rifle down for the weekend. Settled on the 358 as the property we were going to had a few buff they wanted removed!

Work out of the way and a arvo trip was sorted. Arrived and set up for a look around and bumped a few dogs on the way in, unable to get a shot. So headed towards a wallow Sean knew of. Spotted the buff from about 500m. Pulled up and continued on foot. Got to about 90m and tried to get a clear shot. The bull was the closest so settled on him. Aimed and waited but he wouldn't move for a clear shot. Decided to take a shot. The hydro found its mark and the bull was down on the spot. Ran in for a finisher and was stoked.

Asked Sean if he wanted the other two dropped, decided on letting them go.

Set up for photos and then the work of boning him out. Recovered the 225 hydro against his hip bone just under the skin.

A great arvo, Not the boar I really would liked to have found but maybe the next trip.

Heres some pics cheers Mick
Featherweight 358 225 hydro

hydros and to the right of knife, where it pulled up
recovered hydro
Sean boning out!
Skull from bull left, young compared to mature bull.

(.375 member)
24/12/17 09:41 AM
Re: Katherine Trip

Couple of days later, we walked the creeks late in the arvo. Pretty steamy as it rained for most of the day. Hadn't gone far and bumped a boar. Missed the chance for a shot as I thought it was a dingo. Continued on for about 400m and picked up a fresh set of tracks and could smell a boar. Had only gone another 30m and the same boar broke from the creek. Was onto him pretty quick but very thick, so waited for him to stop and settled for a shot. He dropped on the spot so my first boar around Katherine.

Few photos then continued on. Just about back to the car and put up a boar on a wallow, he made it into the long grass so cut down and waited to see if he would come out in a clearing. When he did I rushed the shot and glanced his shoulder. Didn't find him after having a good look around.

Had a bit more of a look around with nothing else seen for the arvo.

Liking Katherine. Heres a pic cheers Mick

DarylS
(.700 member)
24/12/17 11:14 AM

Cool! Blue plastic tip to help feeding!

Well done Mick - and with a .358 Winnie, as well.

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
24/12/17 01:06 PM

Mick, well done again, nice looking beasts. I assume the Model 70 has been re-barreled to 358 Norma Mag, is that correct.

Waidmannsheil.

(.375 member)
24/12/17 03:48 PM

Quote:

Mick, well done again, nice looking beasts. I assume the Model 70 has been re-barreled to 358 Norma Mag, is that correct.

Waidmannsheil.

Re barreled to 358 winchester. shooting 185 ACP's 200 hornadys and 225 hydros. All work well on game. cheers Mick

DarylS
(.700 member)
24/12/17 04:08 PM

This picture says it all, Waidmannsheil. They appear to be round nose plastic tipped Hydros, loaded in the standard .358 Winnie.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
24/12/17 09:26 PM

Good little trip. And the younger bull isn't too bad for the area either. Thanks for posting.

BTW how much meat did you take, just the back straps or more?

Looks "cool" in the photos but probably stinking hot, and also humid. What is the temp in Katherine this time of the year, 35 to 40 deg C ? And probably humid as hell.

(.375 member)
24/12/17 09:39 PM

Most of the meat taken except for damaged shoulder. Back straps eating very well after aging for 17 days. Corn beef / buff ready to eat ATM............Cheers MIck

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
25/12/17 02:43 AM

I took a roast out of the freezer I thought was venison. Covered with a huge layer of fat ... it is water buffalo. So it is a water buffalo webered roast tomorrow as my contribution to the extended families Christmas lunch.

Aged in the freezer for a year or two.

DarylS
(.700 member)
25/12/17 05:10 AM

I do wish those Hydros were available here. With the plastic tip on them, I suspect our ban on fmj's on big game would not apply.

Iowa_303s
(.400 member)
25/12/17 07:31 AM

Great stuff Mick!

93x64mm
(.416 member)
25/12/17 09:22 PM

Good shooting Mick!
Love those Mk II Hydros with the plastic caps; haven't tried them personally yet, but everyone who's used them appears to have had no issues with them.
Merry Christmas folks
93x64mm

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
26/12/17 09:09 AM

Yes Daryl you are correct, I didn't even notice the ammo in the photo, the picture says it all, must have been daydreaming. Actually I didn't think Mick would use anything that small. I am impressed with how effective that smallish cartridge is when loaded with Hydros.

Waidmannsheil.

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
26/12/17 09:12 AM

Thanks Mick. The rifle looks good and the cartrdige certainly works very well. Is the Model 70 a short action or a standard action.

Waidmannsheil.

(.375 member)
26/12/17 10:40 AM

Its a push feed 80's model so a long action. The 358 feeds and cycles very well.
Initial before the hunt the main target was going to be pigs on the creeks. The owner asked if we bumped into the buff could we sort them out. So I went with. the 358 as a compromise, to cover both animals. The hydros are a game changer for small cals on large animals.
I carry some hydros on most hunts just in case a opportunity comes up for a buff. Place one thru the shoulders side on or chest shot front on and its pretty much all over.
Cheers Mick

Ripp
(.577 member)
27/12/17 06:53 AM

Quote:

Its a push feed 80's model so a long action. The 358 feeds and cycles very well.
Initial before the hunt the main target was going to be pigs on the creeks. The owner asked if we bumped into the buff could we sort them out. So I went with. the 358 as a compromise, to cover both animals. The hydros are a game changer for small cals on large animals.
I carry some hydros on most hunts just in case a opportunity comes up for a buff. Place one thru the shoulders side on or chest shot front on and its pretty much all over.
Cheers Mick

Great story in info ..

Congrats on a great hunt and thank you for the info..

Ripp

Homer
(.416 member)
31/12/17 11:14 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing 264 and pleased to see you gettin amongst them.

Best Wishes to you all for 2018!
Homer

Contact Us NitroExpress.com