Homer
(.416 member)
06/08/17 08:20 AM
Bob Penfold passes away

G'Day Folks,

It is with a sad feeling that I found out that Robert (Bob) John Penfold, has passes away.
http://tributes.theherald.com.au/obituar...&fhid=31483

I only met Bob on a few occasions, through mutual acquaintances but it was always a pleasure.

RIP Bob.
Homer

93x64mm
(.416 member)
06/08/17 08:41 AM
Re: Bob Penfold passes away

Be guiding upstairs now mate!

eagle27
(.400 member)
06/08/17 10:52 AM

Did Bob guide on top end buffalo? I arranged a hunt up there in 1978 but for the life of me cannot remember who I arranged this with but Bob was around then and I recall his writings. The seed was sown to hunt buffalo after reading the 1978 Sporting Shooter yearbook which contained an article by one of the well known Aussie writers (Bob?) at the time and featured some great photos of close up face off shooting of buffalo.

As it turned out, a few weeks before we were set to fly from NZ to Darwin the guide/PH who I had arranged the hunt with said he couldn't now do the hunt himself as something else had come up (I recall it was something to do with his church/religion) but he would have someone else accompany us.

As it turned out we were met at Darwin Airport by a professional meat shooter who had a pet meat supply business setup at his home out in the country from Darwin. We accompanied him for a week out on the Finnis River Station and apart from shooting some good bulls also shot other buffs to make up the loads of meat everyday for him.

Homer
(.416 member)
06/08/17 11:01 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Possibly Eagle 27?
Bob was the man behind Hunt Australia, and guided for all Australian and other South Pacific Game species.
In particular, Bob and his team hunted the NT, every dry season for Buff, Banteng etc.
Here is a link to his recent book; https://www.amazon.com/Penfold-Bob/dp/1594335176 and well worth the read.

Regards
Homer

500Boswell
(.400 member)
06/08/17 11:58 AM

There was an ABC program that featured him years ago [on hunting]

eagle27
(.400 member)
06/08/17 04:15 PM

Thanks Homer

I had a look on the Sporting Shooter web site and there is some exerts from the Life and Times of Bob Penfold book. Interesting reading. He did work for a pet meat shooter but not the one who took us hunting.
I did a bit more googling and lo and behold came up with the guy who did take us after buffalo all those years ago. Soon as I saw the name I remembered, it was Terry (Halse) and he still operates his business, Howard Springs Pet Meat. Google Earthed his address and apart from a lot more trees around the property, It brought back memories as we stayed a night with Terry and his wife at his home on our return from out hunt at Finnis River.
1978 was a few years after cyclone Tracy that devastated the Darwin area and we could still see a lot of the damage from the highway as we drove from Darwin to Finnis River.

Terry was very cautious of the buffalo and would not follow any into the bush or scrub, my friend and I like green horns did with Terry yelling warnings to us from the old Toyota he had then. My 404 was very effective and backed up my mates 7x57 on a couple of occasions.

It seems Terry had every right to be cautious of the buffalo, one finally did catch him out. I'll contact him just to find out the other half of the equation, who it was that I originally booked our 'NT Safari' with. Was AU$100 a day each and no trophy fees, now those were the days. We stayed over night in some old quarters on the station, fed by the owner and his wife, while Terry took a load of meat back to his base and returned each morning to take us hunting again.

Hope the link works.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northern-t...4b3fb915593fd6e

Ripp
(.577 member)
06/08/17 10:57 PM

RIP Bob.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Ripp

Homer
(.416 member)
07/08/17 09:25 AM

G'day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing your/that info Eagle 27.

Regards
Homer

500Boswell
(.400 member)
07/08/17 01:12 PM

There was the hunting stories of Bob in shooters Journal overseas, where he used a cutdown FN Mauser military rifle 30-06 rechambered to 308 Norma mag with ''swing over''[so he could use the open sights if needed] scope mount and 3-9 Leupold scope ,one of the bush pilots said''thats an old gun ,ive never a hunter here, with an old gun like that''.

Homer
(.416 member)
07/08/17 05:09 PM

Thats the one .500 Boswell.
Bob shot a lot of game with that same rifle.

Regards
Homer

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
09/08/17 07:22 PM

I met Bob Penfold in the Hunt Australia camp at Gan Gan in 2004 when Matt Graham was first looking at buying the outfitting business. Matt had several hunts to sell through the outfitting business to try it out as part of the sale negotiations.

About 20 years earlier Bob Penfold had bought out the interests of Wimray Safaris, one of the two original safari outfitting business in the Top End (and Australia?) at the time.

Matt Graham passed away last year, still a young man.

Now Bob Penfold has also passed away. RIP Bob.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
09/08/17 07:24 PM

Extensive preview of the book:
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=k9w...ris&f=false

Penfold: Life and Times of a Professional Hunting Guide From Down Under
By Bob Penfold

Contact Us NitroExpress.com