thefinegunmaker
(.224 member)
21/02/04 12:58 PM
Re: Dakota Model 10

Thomas

Turpin's book is a great selection of a variety of custom rifle work.

Concerning the Dakota 76 and 97, the 97 is just a 76 turned round. At least that's how the prototypes were made. They started out as prototype actions for the Beretta Mato and that never took off so Dakota decided to market a less expensive line of action. Much much less work goes into building a round action than a flat bottom one. Above the wood line they look very similar, but the price tag is not. Round actions do not bed in a wooden stock as well as a flat bottom one. The round action acts as a wedge and the bedding will loosen up over time when the gard screws are tight and the natural expansion of the wood changes with humidity.

I have not seen the Heym action and only seen the Johannsen action on hallowellco.com. But in comparing a Winchester style action to a "pure" Mauser style, the Winchester style trigger is the best hunting trigger in the world and the three position safety is also great. The flange on the Mauser bolt sleve does a much better job protecting the shooter when excessive pressures from a ruptured case come back in your face. Overall I believe the Mauser 98 is the safest bolt action available anywhere. The case hardening makes them slick as glass and not as likely to come apart in your face. I've never heard of a Dakota coming apart in pieces even though they are not case hardened.

I heard a rumor that the new broaching machine that Dakota uses for the bolt raceways cuts part of the receiver threads out on the extractor side. This is similar to the new M70 Winchesters, Interarms Mauser and left handed Ackley Mauser98 I've seen. It doesn't bother too many people, but if you're asking big money I think the threads should stay. My older Dakota actions have full threads.

I've got some Dakota 76 and Mausers in my collection and think it's good to have a variety if you have the room. If you don't have the room, buy a bigger safe.

If I were limited to one rifle it would be a Mauser 98. I'm just glad I'm not that limited.

Sorry to change the topic of this thread. I hope I haven't confused anyone.

gunmaker
http://users.elknet.net/chico

Contact Us NitroExpress.com