(.300 member)
23/02/07 07:28 PM
Re: Picked up my Ruger # 450 3 1/4 Nitro

Daryl S
It is quite common here to run black powder with jacketted bullets especially in the express cartridges. I also run jacketted bullets in my Pedisoli rolling block 45.70 for light Black powder events at the BGRC. It regularly shoots 1" groups at 50 yards off the bench with 405 grain rem. and 65 grains of fff BP. For hunting I switch to 300 grain Hornady's with 2207 for 2350 feet per second. This rifle has has a 28 inch barrel. This load is not hot as I contacted ADI and questioned their loading data. This load developes 26,000 CUP. With open sight I can keep 3 shots inside 2' at 100 yrds off the bench. With the 450 express and the 45.70 there is no air space in the Black powder loads, so no filler is required. Did you have a look at the SSAA web site?

450 Ackley.

Looking forward to meeting you in July. I would have liked a longer barrel, but the original 458 was what I had, so 23 inches is it. It is quite comfortable to shoot with full power 480 grain loads, but I am putting a decelerator pad on it. This will let me shoot it more. I thought of the second folding site, but have opted for a Peep site for hunting and the open sight for black powder express event. The peep sight fits straight onto the rib. It is made for the rugers by NEGC. I think that is their name. I can take it off and replace it without losing the zero. If I was computer literate I would put some photos of the rifle on for you to look at. My peep will be here in about 4 weeks. I also have to fit a higher front bead as it shoots about 4" high at the moment and there is no more adjustment in the rear sight. I think I found my recoil tolerence level the other day at the range. 500 double express with 610 grain bullets. The stock was a bit short and
I smacked my nose and shook the head a bit. Still put the bullets where I wanted them. Only 2 shots though. Keep in touch how the rifle performs.

Daryl S. It would be a buzz to see you at our Nationals in July. Don't worry about bringing a gun as there will be enough for you to shoot here.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com