Holmes
(.300 member)
20/01/04 04:14 PM
Re: Biggest caliber in Ruger No1

Hey Nitro,

In reply to:

Yes quite a thumper. What sort of weight do these require? Probably quite a carry.

When I started talking with JD at SSK a few years ago, it was my intent to build a #1 in 600 JDJ.

Unfortunately, the rifle really cannot be built heavy enough to call it a regular shooter. Recoil is so stiff that the rifle becomes more of a masochistic novelty. It really needs to be as heavy as the old 600 Nitros and this is pretty tough to do with the Ruger.

JD and I argued incessantly over a brake and his recommended CounterCoil stock modification. I don't care for brakes and the CounterCoil is uglier than than Rosie O'Donnell

There is also concern over the small amount of wood joining the buttstock to the receiver in such a heavy calibre. Ruger usually has pretty good wood on the #1s but this is pushing the envelope!

I then decided to go with the 577 NE 3". JD and I continued to argue. He wanted a brake on it at least. After a couple of conversations with the folks at Bowen Classic Arms, I decided to step down to the 500 NE 3". This way I could have my dream rifle without the brake or any ugly stock mods.

I wanted an English-style classic rifle that I could carry and shoot varmints with. A 10.5# 577 or 600 was not going to be feasible for someone wanting to burn 50 or 60 rounds in an afternoon of hare decimation

A 10.5# 500 NE is a wonderful thing.

It's tough being a purist

Regards.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com