(.300 member)
13/02/07 10:08 AM
Re: Picked up my Ruger # 450 3 1/4 Nitro

Daryl S

I am a member of the Big Game Rifle Club and we shoot once a month with mainly large calibre rifles suitable for dangerous game. If you look on the web under Sporting Shooters Association of Australia, and then go to B.G.R.C it will give you a good insite into the Club Activities and what rifles are needed for group 1, 2 & 3 nitro. You have to use full power loads in all events. Many of the members shoot H&H,Jeffereys doubles in some awesome calibres. The black powder event I shot in was Black Powder express. Must be more that 100 grains of Black powder, Jacketed bullets are allowed. The day event consisted of 2 shots at 100 yrds sitting or standing in your own time, at 50 yards 2 shots standing in your own time, and 2 shots in 10 seconds, at 25 yards two lots of 2 shots in 10 seconds. Some of the calibres used are 577/450,500 BP, 450BP,and numerous others. There are many events to choose from. My favourite is the special snap. I use my 458 win Brno. 8 shots at 25 yrds in 35 seconds. Possible score of 80. Everything has to go right. scored 73.

Another event where everything must got right is Hayleys Hop. There are three targets set at 50,30 & 15 yards. You must use a bolt action rifle of minimum group 1 nitro. (.330 or larger, 165 grain bullet, 2900 footpounds. 338 mag meets this criteria.) You commence with 2 cartridges in the rifle and you have to put 2 shots in each of the three target in the shortest time with the best score. There is a formula to work out the scores. So far the best I have done is 20.3 seconds and came in second.

I will get some photos of the rifle but being computer illiterate, it might takes some time to learn how to put them on.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com