Sharps
(.224 member)
07/01/07 07:55 AM
Re: Martini and Hagn 300 Win. Mag., wood chosen

Capt. I seem to go through barrels pretty regularly. It is pretty hard for me to quantify when a barrel is actually used up. I guess when I start noticing reduced accuracy in the field is when I get back on paper and check. If a good barrel won't hold around 2 1/2" at 200 meters off the bench in good conditions I start thinking about a new barrel. The last Shilen on my old 30-338 had under 3000 rounds through it and was shooting pretty crappy when I sent it to the gunsmith. Matter of fact it never shot that barrel very well. The gunsmith that just re-barreled it air gauged the Shilen and said that it was nearly .309" and had a tight spot about 7" ahead of the chamber. That was supposed to have been a Shilen top match barrel but I suspect the gunsmith that installed it used one of the cheap Shilens. It has now got a Krieger on it and it shoots extremely well. I've got a Nesika Bay repeater in 6.5-06 that has a Krieger on it and its had around 2000 rounds through it and so far is going strong. Who knows? I guess a barrel is just a wear part.

I'm looking forward the the Hagn, I am going to shoot it until it falls apart.

Namibia, here I come.

josh

Contact Us NitroExpress.com