luv2safari
(.400 member)
17/08/06 03:09 PM
Re: Drilling Configuration

A 20 gauge drilling is hard to come by, and they cost about 50% more than a 16 or 12. They don't weigh any less than a good 16gauge, either.

A nice Sauer or Simson in 16/70 and 7X57R is a great drilling configuration. I sold a Sauer Lux early post war with a full length 22 hornet insert and Zeiss 1.5X6 in a swing mount to LeBas and curse myself for letting it go.

My next drilling is supposed to be a 16 & 7X57 or a 6/5X57.

hoppdoc,

A 12/12/8X57JR is about as good as it gets, IMO. Ammo for it is cheap, and it is an all around drilling for No America.

All things considered, I like the Simson better than the Sodia. I feel that the Austrian guns are nicer outside, but the German guns have better innards...just personal opinion.

Most 16/8X57 drillings weigh about 7 3/4 pounds w/o scope. I had a Kettner Dural sideplated short drilling in 16/8X57JRS that weighed 6.25 pounds, but couldn't shoot it well...too bad!!!
I sold a nice underlever 16/9,3X72R to 8x56mm here. It was a hammer drilling with a Voightlander scope in claws. Ask him how he likes the gun. I loved it, as it was so trim and graceful... It is next to impossible to find an underlever in anything but obslete calibers, the 9,3X72R being just out of that catagory and common, however.

My best advice when buying any older drilling is have the chamber cast and identify the chambering for certain.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com