BwanaBob
(.300 member)
12/12/05 12:13 AM
Re: What is best Drilling to buy?

Steve,

The recommended retail price, for the Merkel 96K, is $7287 but you should be able to find a dealer who will do a bit better than this price. Granite Arms do not sell direct to the public and so always quote RRP and not best price. Do some arm twisting and see how you go.

I think that the 96K is available in .222 Rem and 5.6x52R (.22 Hipower) - at least the latest Merkel brochure, which I am looking at now, lists these calibres and no longer lists the .22 Hornet. We have been asking Merkel for .222s for some time so maybe they have finally listened. I can confirm that for you, if you like - yes, I work for Granite Arms, and I guess that I had better update the website, too! (yes, I am also Granite Arms' webmaster).

Your other option is to look for a good secondhand drilling but, in my experience, most of the secondhand guns (in good condition) will cost you $5,000 plus! I know, because I have always been on the lookout for a good secondhand drilling and haven't found a cheap one, yet. The only relatively inexpensive drillings, I have found, have been old guns chambered for odd calibres like 8x57JR or 9.3x72R.

I am not trying to talk you out of looking for a secondhand drilling, just stating what I have observed.

If you need any more info on the Merkels, please let me know.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com