NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
02/06/24 12:17 AM
Re: A Magnificent Single Shot Falling Block by WR

Quote:

That is a beautiful rifle for a gun room but not a gun to take out hunting. I like hunting with nicely engraved, vintage rifle but this WR seems somewhat "over the top".

I'm a bit of a dissenter. A great work of gun art indeed. Wonderful to hang on the gun room wall to show to and impress one's mega millionaire friends. I doubt it will see many hunting fields. High seats maybe, a reason for that scope. Maybe a genteel Scots stag hunt.

A great work of gun maker art like Westley Richards is so capable of doing.

As I get older I prefer plainer functional but still nice walnut. Not over trained. That's for a piano or a coffee table. Colour case gardening. Simple engraving or traditional. I do like those elaborate real like scenes.

7x65R is a useful modern medium cartridge. I'd go for a .300 H&H Flanged.

Quote:

An original Westley Richards falling block rifle has been used as the basis for this new-build European big game rifle in 7x65R. Re-purposing good examples of vintage actions to create new custom rifles was commonplace in the British gun trade until quite recently.

Good. If they can "re-purpose" old good faithful examples, I can re-"purpose" my historical Dutch East Indies military 1893 Steyr in 6.5x53R.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com