tinker
(.416 member)
09/10/22 09:30 AM
Re: Rigby Falling Block

I've been hesitant to respond too

As John had first posted this, I went to look at what Rigby had to say about the rifle, the printed story discussed the .416 cartridge

My impression is first that this rifle is (of course) perfectly scaled to the cartridge and the intended use etc

But John asks

Quote:

NE Gentlemen,

If you could order one of these Rigby Falling Blocks, what cartridge chamberings would you choose? And why?

This rifle is marvelous
Surely if I could order one today I'd choose beautiful stock material and distinctive engraving
I'd want storage and field cases, loading and cleaning tools, and carry accessories to go along with the rifle

I'd want to use it often

Reflecting on the print material regarding this rifle I immediately wondered if the rifle company would scale the action to the commissioned cartridge size

In all practicality I know that I'm not going to run an enduring campaign against dangerous game

First cartridge that came to mind was the 7x57, although I have something cooking in 7x57 currently and my thoughts drifted

If this rifle could be scaled to the cartridge, and if I wanted to get the most practical use out of the rifle -- in order to get the maximum joy out of this order I'd look at where I use a rifle the most

By far, for actual field use and daily problem solving, a 22 gets the job done

I actually have a 22 caliber falling block rifle, a Ruger No.1 in Hornet (K)

Great little hammer that takes care of 90-something percent of rifle problems around the ranch
It's built far heavier than needed for the Hornet

A bespoke Rigby Falling Block Rifle scaled properly to the Hornet with presentation case, field case, tools and accessories would be amazing, and it would get used a lot

If the maker could do a takedown version, I could settle for a lightweight rifle scaled for the 7mm - which is a light cartridge in itself - and a matched forend and barrel assembly for the Hornet

I'd want slim and QD mounted optics for each barrel assembly

Field and skinning knives to compliment the kit would be great to go along with the package, as well as cartridge wallets and belt slides

I think that would do

Contact Us NitroExpress.com