HeymSR20
(.300 member)
27/11/21 09:59 PM
Re: 28 Gauge Combo Guns

28s of any persuasion are rare and in combinations, probably like hens teeth. And I am not sure why. 16 Bore combinations and drillings are beautifully balanced. A 16 bore shotgun, is again a thing of beauty. A 16 bore has the almost perfect balance of killing power but in svelte package. It is much less bulky than a 12. And then you drop to the 28 which makes a wonderful light gun, but still with enough shot to give a usable pattern, and for most applications is better than the 410. I do use a 410 in the field, but it allows little room fir error.

But the 20bore, I have never been sure of. In a traditional Side by side using its original load it makes an OK gun, but if you lightweight the 28 is better. But most 20’s are over and unders and every body shoots a 28 or 30 or 32gram load - 1oz, 1 1/16 or 1 1/8oz. Those 12 or 16 bore loads, and with a 20 you are increasing pressures which makes them snappy to shoot.

I can understand why many combinations now are in 12 or 20, but they are a real compromise. 16 is the best all round balance. And a lot of the modern combinations are not really suitable for winged game. Yes the have a shot barrel, but they handle like a heavy barreled rifle. Take a careful bead at a stationary target and let fly with shot. You are not going to use it a jinking woodcock or a duck springing from a pond.

I am lucky in that i have a wonderful Hambrusch built 16 / 7x65r combination. I have taken deer at over 200 yards, fast running wild boar, and yet it handles like a well balanced shotgun and have shot phaesant, woodcock and duck. It’s balance does make the rifle a little light and it does require concentration when using the rifle.

Now the ideal compliment would be a 28 with a 22 Hornet, 222 rimmed in a 5lb all up weight little beauty.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com