kuduae
(.400 member)
26/06/21 12:54 AM
Re: Afghan Martini-Henry

Quote:

I don't think this is a detachable lock as the safety makes that difficult. But it could be-Francotte and Belgium's had a number of clever variations.

What’s this? To me, this is a detachable lockwork. BTW, the safety works on that little tail of the sear protuding from the rear wall. The workmanship of the parts is slightly below that I've seen on British or Belgian Martini lock parts.

Quote:

The Afghan marking seen to indicated something other than a run of the mill sporter. The Mosque was applied to the government arms. I had a Kukri with that mark-the ruler used Gurkha body guards. And of course the Kabul Arsenal guns all bore this mark. But this is not a Kabul Arsenal gun.

Here is a photo from the net of a Kabul Arsenal military carbine and another one of the markings on my rifle. To me the “mosque” mark and the inscription look the same. Afaik the line roughly translates to “Kabul workshop”.

As it is a Martini type action with a Henry type barrel, it is a Martini – Henry sporting rifle to me as well as the military Martini – Henrys that are named so for the same features.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com