CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
13/05/21 08:32 PM
Re: A magnificent Rook Rifle from Westley Richards

America had its rook and rabbit rifles also. They were sturdy and not too fancy. You could also match them up with a companion revolver.

I thoroughly enjoy these two guns chambered in .32-20.

The Winchester dates to 1902. The Smith & Wesson is only slightly younger. It shipped in December 1909.

I also have the similar match-up chambered in .44-40, though those are considerably above "rook and rabbit" class.

Another Winchester 1892 I have is chambered in .25-20 WCF. I don't think there was a companion revolver in that caliber.

It's not a bad day playing with a couple of pieces of history well over a hundred years old! They shoot pretty darn well too.

Now, let's get back to single shot rifles, the proper subject here. I am the proud owner of a Stevens Mod. 44-1/2 chambered in .25-20 (the single shot version).

While it's nothing to compare to a Westley Richards 97, it's one heck of a shooter. DarylS and I had a go with it at my range one day. With the aperture sights, I can put five shots under 3/4" at 100 yards if I do my part. BTW, Daryl, I have worked on its trigger pull and have it down to something better than what you experienced that day.

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com