Re: My French 16ga x 16bore Cape Gun - Manufrance Robust No.32ES

Quote:

Agree with the other comments on this..
Great find --
Congrats..

Hello RIPP,
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:

Great find Buckstix, your shotgun is simply beautiful and looks in really mint condition; that's a lucky pick as Models 32-E-S are extremely rare on the market. According to the excellent book in French "Le Fusil Robust" (Jean-Claude Mournetas), unfortunately now out of stock, Models 32-E-S ("32" for luxury finish, "E" for "Ejector" & "S" for rifled barrel) were only manufactured in 1930, while Robust shotguns were continuously manufactured from 1913 (patent issued) until 1980 (Manufacture de Saint Etienne's end of business), apart from the period 1940-1946 when production stopped. Of interest, Robust models were also offered in a side-by-side double-rifle version from 1929 until 1934, in calibers 8mm Lebel, .405 & .450; they are also extremely rare on the market now and command extremely high prices when some re-surface from time to time.

I also own a Robust model 222S in 16 ga, with one fully rifled barrel for slugs; this one is younger than yours, it was manufactured in the mid-50's and has been in the family since then; I'll need to present it on the Forum one day. I had it fully refurbished circa ten years ago when it was passed to me and it has been in my safe since then as I do not hunt with shotguns.

Louis

Hello Louis,
Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate the info about the date of manufacture. I'd love to find a Manufrance double rifle to add to my collection. I have a 1929 French Verney Caron in 475 No.2 Nitro Express,

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....true#Post318178

and an 1897 French Lefaucheux in 8mm Lebel.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=348857&an=0&page=0#Post348857

Quote:

hello buckstix

just one note- when you size down the big 16 ga bullet the pic here shows the lead is flowing into the grease groove

dip the bullet into melted bee wax or paraffin before and size than. this will hold the groove intact when sizing down because the wax/paraffin is allways there and the lead flow into another direction usually extending the bullet.

I had this problem with the .575 Minie bullets I use for my Husqvarna 17a with a 28/40 cartridge. swage the minie bullet in the die with a hammer to .600 diameter. when you fill the grooves before they will hold the shape. if not they are filled with lead after the work.

Hello lancaster,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I should have done that. As it was however, I sized all those I cast, and didn't think of that before hand. I will do that with the next batch I cast.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com