buckstix
(.400 member)
24/12/20 06:39 AM
Re: A Most Interesting Rook Rifle - Side-Lever 300 Long Shot cal

Quote:

I don't think anyone could have put it better - for all subject covered!
Certainly looking for your range report, as always you've done your homework first!
Lovely old lady you have their mate......lucky bugger!

Hello 93x64,
Thanks for the reply.

Range report is below.

Quote:

Sir what a beautiful Rook and Rabbit rifle you have! On looking at the pictures I thought oh it’s a Sherwood .300 caliber but having stopped being lost in the blueing and quality I read your accompanying text.! Was unaware of such a cartridge. NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN,!
I looked in Bill Flemings book British Sporting Cartridges, Barnes Cartridges of the World still none the wiser.
Could the rifle have been relined at some point in the distant past to a rare experimental cartridge.
This is definitely one that requires homework good luck with your endeavors and keep us posted please. Regards Steve.

Hello Rookandrabbit,
Thanks for the reply.

I also looked in every book I own on cartridges, all 8 of them, and I could find nothing. The rifle has not been relined and looks all original. Maybe someone just wanted a sspecial .30 caliber that held more black powder.

Quote:

Thanks Buckstix. I am eagerly awaiting your results.

Hello Daryl_S
Thanks for the reply.

Well, I'm back from the range and I am pleased as can be. I only shot on our 50 foot indoor range because it was pretty cold outside this morning. I think I got what I was looking for. -see the target- This is FLY target that we use in offhand competition. The black circles are 3/8" thick and 2-3/8" outside diameter. Although we shoot mostly with scopes and aim directly at the fly, the thick black circle allows the use of iron sights, as with this rifle. If the bullet stays totally inside the black circle, you get 1 point. If you "HIT" the fly (wing, antenna, leg) its a "HIT" and you get 2 points. If you "KILL the fly by hitting the head or body, its a "KILL" and you get 3 points. 2-shots per fly - total of 10 shots per target. Unlimited siighters at the upper left target. Best score you can get is a "30". Each relay is 1 target, 10 targets total for a match. We shoot 1 target per week during the Winter Months.

As you can see, the rifle performed admirably. It took a couple of shots to get it zeroed-in, but then; the last 3 shots resulted in 1-HIT and 2-KILLS. What a HOOT ! ! ! And look at the standard deviation .. a "6" ... that's amazing and surpassed my most optimistic expectations. I'm still grinning 3 hours later.

Rooks and Rabbits beware. .... and squirrels too.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com