buckstix
(.400 member)
23/12/20 09:09 PM
Re: A Most Interesting Rook Rifle - Side-Lever 300 Long Shot cal

Quote:

6.6gr. should be doing about 1,000fps to 1100fps, buckstix.

Good innovation. But, pray tell, where did the brass come from? RMC headstamp?

Shooting TB in rifles is a lot of fun and no brass to clean.

Hello Daryl_S
Thanks for the reply.

I'll be choreographing later today - we'll see how close your estimate is. I also tried IMR4198 and IMR4227 but the small charges filled less than 1/4 of the case before cases started sticking. And, those powders were very position sensitive. When the powder was level in the case, no problem, but when the powder was back in the case against the primer, cases would stick. Case sticking was a big problem with this long straight case.

When I used TB, I got 80% case filling. The small paper pill placed in the bottom of the case brought it up to 90% and kept the powder away from the primer. I learned this little trick 30 years ago.

The cartridges cases were made by Rocky Mountain Cartridge Co. They are custom brass case are producers. I have used them many, many times in the past to make several different hard to find cases. After making a chamber cast, I searched every nook and cranny for info on this cartridge, but found nothing. And there are no existing cartridges to use to make this case. As usual, RMC came to my rescue.

Yes, I hate shooting BP in classic guns. I don't want to take the chance that a spot is missed when cleaning, only to find rust the next time the gun is used.

Quote:

Buckstix you Sir are damaged in the most wonderful way. Keep on keeping on!
Your drive in the pursuit of your collection is deserving of a medal.
Merry Christmas to you. I'll do what I can to hijack Santa's delivery to your pad.

Cheers!

Hello tinker,
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, my wife says its a sickness and I'm a horder. I keep telling her there are no old newspapers and dead cats in my hoard.

Quote:

Marvelous little rifle, Buckstix!
That chambering could have been a nightmare, seems like you have risen to the challenge!

I have a near-identical rook rifle retailed by W.P.Jones and wearing Birmingham proofs, notwithstanding its obvious Belgian roots.
It has an Anson push-rod fore-end latch, rather than the wedge fastening of your example.
Mine is chambered for the original .22 Long, and seems quite happy shooting standard velocity .22 LR cartridges.

Joke is, the .22 is specifically excluded from Rook Rifle matches in our Big Game Rifle Club National Rules! Damn!!

Hello Marrakai
Thanks for the reply.

As I explained above, its been a challenge. Long straight sided cases can be a problem with smokeless powders. Also, the bore groove dia. is a true .300 inches so case mouth walls had to be .020 inches thick, and the only .300 dia. commercial bullets available were Hornady 128g spitzers. Those key-holed. The little 32 cal heal bullet works great. The two bands of the small .312 inch dia. heel bullet has a bearing surface of only .080 inches. When fired, the soft lead instantly swage-down through the tapered throat of the chamber with no effects of pressure or accuracy.

Test Targets will follow later today.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com