EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
03/07/20 10:10 AM
Re: 577-450 Barrel

Well I certainly am the type who doesnt know what he doesnt know. I have a passion for the Martini, which be gan with watching Zulu over and over. My four Martinis are in at best OK condition. The best being a Ghendra which, I know isnt a Martini; but is period "enough" for my rifle shooting desires. I have a couple sets of dies, correct brass and brass formed from shotgun shells; as well as some reloaded ammo from a dealer I found on Gun Broker.

What I want from THIS project is a period (late 19th Century) looking rifle in a cartridge that is a bit rare by 30-06 standards. Im "that guy" at hunting camp and I have a reputation to maintain. I could do it with a 405 Win in a 1895 rifle--But that was too easy.

I havent checked the feasibility of using a Encore action. At this point Im assuming (yes I know what that means) it will fit, as its big enough for a 12 ga shell and strong enough for 375H&H (and more). My thought with an Encore it fits the "look" I want close enough, until I can find a better option. Which leads me to the "best" part about using an Encore, being that it is reasonably affordable (cost of the barrel, cost of the reamer/rent?, gunsmith time/cost, and its a new/modern gun).

My intended game is Wild Boar at a max range of 100yrds (more likely 50yrds); with the occasional Whitetail tossed in at similar ranges.

Im NOT particular on the rifling pattern, in so much as it "must be ____" only that I want it to be reasonably accurate, as in MOP (minute of pig). Id prefer to load with BP Substitute so that I can fly with loaded ammo. YES-Ive checked with TSA and BP Substitute loaded ammo is OK.

I did a quick check at MGM Custom Barrels for Encores website. They do offer a 458 bore size. I havent spoken to them YET. I planned to call next week for specifics. I found the Pacific Tool makes a 577-450 reamer.----IF that much is "do-able"; Ill present the project to my smith

I freely admit Im over my head. If I knew what I was doing I wouldnt be asking. Anybody can buy a plastic stocked Remington and say hes hunting. I want more. For me hunting isnt filling some tag limit; its so much more than that.

Im open to any suggestions

Thanx

Contact Us NitroExpress.com