EDELWEISS
(.375 member)
02/07/20 09:39 AM
577-450 Barrel

The longer Im here, the more projects pop into my head. I'll start by saying Ive never taken a day of any shop class in my life; but I did spend a bit of time taking design classes--which makes me really dangerous. I can design a screw (on paper); but dont ask me to thread a hole for it... I think I understand; but I dont have a clue about what I dont know. So Im constantly coming up with ideas, which leave gunsmiths pointing toward the door.

So with all that in mind, Ive been thinking about a 577-450 single shot build. Im toying with several action options from T/C Encore to Ruger No 1, to ???

Heres where my confusion begins or continues...
1. Ive been unable to find any custom barrel maker who makes a 577-450 barrel. Ive seen quite a few 45 caliber blanks, which sounded good until I learned that 577-450 isnt really 45 cal (hence the reason the 45LC chamber adapters dont work too well).

2. Ive seen a few references to 577-450 chamber reamers for sale and for rent. That sounded great, until I heard that all 577-450s are not the same. which has me scratching my head, since I have 577-450 dies and brass, and I dont have a clue what is what.

3. I know there are tons of "better" cartridge options but I want 577-450 and that seems like enough reason to at least investigate a bit further.

What am I missing? Id like to at least pretend to sound like I know what Im taking about when I present the plan to my smith.

Any suggestions where to go looking for what all I need?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com