Louis
(.375 member)
04/05/20 12:53 AM
Re: Heeren system

Daryl, 9,3x64, Waidmannsheil and Lancaster, thank you for your comments; below are, in bulk, answers to your questions:

- I do not reload; I must confess this almost capital sin! I have reloaded ages ago, when a teenager and young adult, and I have still most of my kit stored in a box at home. I stopped reloading when I joined the military as I never spent much time at home and the situation is pretty much the same now that I work on commercial projects. I am not sure I will start reloading one day as achieving good results requires a wealth of experience gained from time spent on the reloading bench; I therefore buy what I guess to be among the best on the commercial ammunition market i.e. RWS and Dorfner (the later for Mannlicher Schoenauer calibres) in order to put as much chances as possible on my side when hunting.

- This Heeren gives best results with RWS KS 10,5 grams / grains ammunition and is pretty accurate with 3-shot groupings below half-an-inch at 100 m and by c. an inch at 200 m. When I have a new rifle, I usually buy one box of every different type of ammo sold by RWS in that calibre and test the rifle on the range; from there I select which one is the best match between barrel and ammo. Result is often an issue of rifle twist but not only; kipplauf in 7x65R and Heeren in 7x65R have the same twist however the first one shots best with KS 8 grams and the second one with KS 10,5 grams. Don’t ask me why !

- Heeren actions made by the watch-maker Omega in Switzerland – From Axel / Kuduae in “Waidmannsheil” (Winter 2013): “ In 1947 the well-renowned Swiss gun shop of Wilhelm Glaser in Zürich, formerly a big customer of Heym and Kerner, took up making their own Heeren rifles. They had their actions machined by the Omega, Louis Brandt & Frere S.A. watch company in Biel, Switzerland and fitted, barrelled, stocked and finished them in their own shop. They also sold some actions in the white to other gun makers. All in all, 240 Omega- Glaser actions were made”.

- Hunting rifles are made for hunting, they must be treated with as much care as possible while on the field, and scratches can be dealt with when re-oiling the wood at the end of the season.

Louis

Contact Us NitroExpress.com