Louis
(.375 member)
01/05/20 10:26 PM
Re: German & Austrian single-shot & combination classic rifles

Another kipplauf on the rack!

I made two good picks at online auctions in 2018, of which I have not yet reported on the Forum; one is a ‘kipplauf’ in 9,3x74R (see hereafter) and the other one is a ‘Heeren’ falling block in 7x65R (to be posted soon, as soon as photos ready). Both rifles are engraved in the ‘eichenlaub’ style, which I personally like a lot … but I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder only!

I wanted a kipplauf in 9,3x74R for stalking red deer mainly and - should the opportunity arise, European brown bear as well as moose. It took me some time to find one matching with my set criteria i.e. classic lines and not too recent production, no animal-engraving (I am not a great fan), no excessively “modern baroque” Austrian style and – needless to say, a palatable price.

The kipplauf Heym Model 44B I acquired is dated from 1994; this makes her the younger rifle in my armoury. This rifle was in production from 1994 until 2010 and the Deutsche Waffen Journal (DWJ) presented it in 9/1994, see the Pdf article in German at http://up.picr.de/27117509dj.pdf .

This rifle is a pleasure to shoot; she is well balanced, quite short (103 cm with a 60 cm barrel), light (unscoped: 2,9 kg - scoped: 3,6 kg) and surprisingly doesn’t really kick!

‘Eichenlaub’ engraving & carving:

Other feature of interest:

The kipplauf is fitted with a Swarovski Habicht 3-12x50 mounted with swing mounts, which I zeroed at 150 metres, the average MRD for 9,3x74R ammunition; I found that the best match for her barrel was the RWS HIT bullet in 16,2 grams / 250 grains.

While I am a set triggers fan, I found the adjustable direct trigger much pleasing to use and the manual cocking system a real added value in terms of safety.

I contacted Heym in early 2019 as I wanted to have the rifle checked, some amendments made, and an additional barrel in 8x68S ordered. Surprisingly, they replied, see the below email, that they could not fulfil my requirement because they did not service their “old’ models; full stop!

De: <m.pxxx@heym-ag.de>
Objet: AW: HEYM AG: Questions
Date: 25 janvier 2019 à 09:34:07 UTC+1
À: "'Louis "

Dear Sir,
We are very sorry but we stopped production for this rifle in 2010, 8 years ago.
Due to that we don’t have any material for this rifle.
I hope you understand.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
With best regards
M. Pxxx

HEYM AG
98646 Gleichamberg
Germany

In other terms, this is called company and supply chain rationalisation with no dedicated team left on the books for managing special projects but for the models currently under production; I would have understood it from Norinco China but find it harder to swallow from Heym Germany!

I now hope I will manage to be available this year for red deer stalking in September, as I have been repeatedly unavailable on this month in the previous years due to professional commitments.

Louis

Contact Us NitroExpress.com