luv2safari
(.400 member)
01/12/19 01:47 PM
Re: Royal Find Drilling

Quote:

luv2safari,

Beautiful find, congratulations!

I'm looking forward to reading of your bringing it back to life. Most especially in the field but first, a range report.

Cheers!

Mark

Now it's here I'm discovering some things about it. It does have the hinged rt trigger, and it's done so well that the seam is almost invisible.

The bore is .40/10mm, and I think it's a 10X47R, not the 10.5 as I had thought. C&H has the dies, Huntington's has 9.5X47R brass, and I can and did buy 180 gr and 220 gr 40 S&W cast bullets in .401; I bought 100 of each.

I'll take the gun to a good friend and gunsmith of mine, Lee LeBas, early next week and we'll bubble up some Cerrosafe and dump it into the chamber. C&H was kind enough to send me 10X47R diagrams they use to make the dies, and we'll get out the calipers.

If it as I believe, I should be smoking all three barrels in a week to ten days. I have some RST Ultra-Lite 2 1/2" 3/4oz 1,100 fps ammo coming that shows an average pressure of 5,200 psi.

I also have two 16ga to 20 ga chamber inserts I can use for now with very light 20 gauge ammo. That is even more benign than the RST ammo.

I'll get some pictures once I get it shooting.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com