NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/11/19 01:29 PM
Re: Royal Find Drilling

Quote:

Quote:

Again, I have to disappoint an overoptimistic American. The shape of a crown indicated a rank in European nobility. This crown indicates the rank of a quite common Freiherr or Baron, the second lowest rank of nobility, called Gentry in England. It would have been an insult to engrave such a humble, inappropiate crown on a gun ordered by any member of a royal, dukal or even countly family.
"Hofbüchsenmacher" was a title given to many upgrade gunshops. It means nothing more than the British phrase "By Appointment to His Majesty the King", good for advertisement only. Nagel & Menz had gunshops in Baden – Baden and Strasbourg. While Baden was THE spa of the international aristocracy, Strasbourg in Alsace – Lorraine was part of the "Reichsland Elsass – Lothringen" from 1871 to 1918, a territry subject directly to Kaiser Wilhem I.
The drilling with wit the up-down swinging right hammer nose is to the early patented design by Immanuel Meffert, Suhl. So it was most likely made by Meffert for Nagel & Menz.

I figured the coronet was Baronial. I should have said it bears a nobel's crest. Would have that been more correct? We Americans divested of nobility in the 1780s... . We're a bit ignorant on the subject. Now it's our "entitled" political class who are sure they're nobility.

I very much appreciate your input and find it invaluable. The knowledge here is a great resource, for sure.

Not to contradict Kuduae. Especially as I am editing my comment! I see Kuduae did mention "Freiherr or Baron", the second part of "or" I missed in my first reading of the comment. No doubt Kuduae has a far more direct knowledge than I!

Freiherr is the equivalent of Baron in the UK. Literally translated as "Fee Mister". I believe Baron might also be used? But possibly just a translation into English at times? A Freiherr owned lands "free" from interference. Unlike all our lands where the "Crown" can interfere, impose their will, demand easements etc, a Freiherr owned his lands absolutely.

Wouldn't we all love to have land rights like this?

But of course in our modern marxist inspired world, such rights (probably) do not exist anywhere. Gov't can not be denied.

Since the Weinmar Republic, in the 1920s, such titles do not exist in Germany either. Noble families were permitted to keep the title in their surnames. So eg a Freiherr von Schlottheim, or Baron of Schlottheeim, could take the surname Schlottheim, von Schlottheim or Freiherr von Schlottheim. so I knew a Burkhard Freiherr von Schlottheim when I lived in the UK. My wife visited them in Western Germany. All the family had that long three word "Friherr von Schlottheim", name as their last name. Maybe the females used Freiherrin I don't know?

Freiherr's being a lower level of noble rank, while not common, are relatively more common than the other noble ranks. With it no longer being a true title, inherited by the heir, it is probably even more numerous now than pre 1920's.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com