DennisDaigger
(.224 member)
28/10/19 01:12 PM
Re: Another Martini

The scope on this rifle is one of my two favorite scopes for rifles. This particular Martini has a Zeiss Zielklein mounted but I have an equal affection for the Hensoldt Klein-Dialyt. The small steel tubes allow for sleek profiles, good blending of surface finish with the rifle finish, they are small and compact, are well made, have excellent optics and in short, simply work for me. This photo shows four that I have. From top to bottom: Bock kipplauf 7x57; 1903 Springfield .400 Whelen; this Martini; and; last is in reserve should I build something else that I'd like to scope.

To prepare these for use I completely disassemble them and remove the dried lube, clean the lenses and completely remove the finish from the body. In the cases of the Bock and this Martini I needed to solder the tubes into the rings after 'plumbing' them. The Springfield was easy, it was a Griffin and Howe side mount with split rings.

I'm getting better at keeping the excess solder to a minimum but the clean up is always tedious. Then rust bluing, relube and reassembly.

The Martini scope is mounted in an early AKAH mount that uses levers to lock it in. The Bock had an additional problem. It had claw bases but no rings so I had to make the rings, a challenge I won't soon repeat.

I'll do a post of the peep sight in a bit.
Dennis

Contact Us NitroExpress.com