tinker
(.416 member)
27/10/19 01:51 AM
Re: Thompson Center TCR 83

I had some time to work on the rifle.

This model is the Aristocrat, with double set trigger.
The forward trigger is a bit farther forward than it perhaps should be, somewhat of a reach. This is a common complaint of the design. Also the safety, a cross bolt at the forward end of the trigger guard, has an additional pushbutton safety catch which needs to be depressed while pushing off the safety bolt. It's awkward.

These ergonomic issues have been mostly OK at the bench, but would detract from the natural use of the rifle in the field. These are source for the most common complaints about the TCR 83 Aristocrat and TCR 87 rifles - set trigger reach and funky safety.

Similarly to the Contender and Encore systems, headspace can vary from rifle to rifle and barrel to barrel. Unlike the high grade Austrian and German Kipplauf rifles that we all covet, these Thompson Center guns were made to a pretty low price point, and most of them exhibit excessive headspace. Handloaders understand this and the common practice is to handle the issue at the loading bench.

The TCR rifles feature a hardened standing breech face which threads into the action. This hardened insert contains the striker. I decided to address the headspace on this rifle via making a special steel spacer washer shim for this insert. I had to make a special tool to remove the breech face insert, and I had to fit the shim, but it was worth the effort.

While I was in the action, I had the set trigger apart and moved the trigger bow as far back as I could while still allowing room for a finger to actuate the rearward set trigger. I deleted the secondary safety catch button while I was in there.
The ergonomics are much better now.

I'm glad I took the time to address these things,

Contact Us NitroExpress.com