NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
25/07/19 03:17 PM
Re: Thompson Center TCR 83

Hi Tinker, I liked them when they first came out. Never really liked the look of the popular Thompson Contender pistol, also the chamberings for the Contender.

I think I was turned off by the TCR back in the 1980's by the "ho hum" chamberings it came out in. The good old standard .308, and family of cartridges. That was how they were advertised in Australia.

I do like the switch barrels rifles. And a single shot in a good 'magnum' chambering can have a longer barrel, and also be a lighter rifle. Good as a mountain hunting rifle.

I would consider one in a 6.5x68mm.

Now some questions.

That model of TCR has since been superseded by one or more models,what are the latter models like in comparison? Also are TCR's in some form still made?

Can barrels from the different models be interchanged?

Can you have custom barrels made for them? By someone? Or can existing barrels be modified?

How hard is it to source old barrels for these? I see from net pics, some owners have multiple barrels with theirs?

For my Tikka/Valmet shotgun, combination, double rifle, it was not that hard to source barrels. Especially from within the USA. Is that now closed off with Obama's laws? In Australia, the barrels often went off within a day of beiung advertised.

Last question, is .300 Blackout available in the TCR or Handgun?

Just interested. Hopefully not hijacking your thread!!

Looking forward to hearing about how your rifle goes and performs.

Double set triggers should aid accurate shooting. I use the set trigger even on my .404. Not for hunting though. It is too light when the adrenalin is pumping.

.22/250 and .30-06 make too useful cartridges and a good range for a two barrel set rifle.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com