DoubleD
(.400 member)
16/06/19 11:36 PM
Re: Martini 577-450 Sporting Rifle - Help with proof marks

Yes, I have commented on this gun over on GunBoards.

It is a Belguim made Martini. This board and the British Militaria board are the two best boards to come to, to have those marks read.

While I am reluctant to state emphatically, I doubt it has anything to do with Thomas Bland and Son's. Martini's came along after the firm became "& Son's".

I think this is similar to the guns imported into the US from Belgium in the late 1890's up to somewhere around WWI, primarily shotguns that bore deceptive makers marks. Most I have seen were W.Richards. There may have been others. They were cheap, but the ones I have seen were well made. I had a number of them come through my shop for repairs over the years. Repair parts hard to impossible find and difficult to make. The reputation was they were cheap, so worthless to repair. I didn't see that quality in them at all. It was a shame they used deceptive markings. People get very upset when tell them.

This gun could be one of those. But in all honesty, I have only ever seen these guns in Shotguns. I don't know either, if these guns only came to the US. market or others in the world.

If this gun is part of that trade, it is the first Rifle I have seen so marked.

The T. Bland mark is spurious, hand stamped. Even handstamped to be Bland it would have to have been marked "T.Bland & Sons" to be correct.

Else wise this is a very nice looking rifle. It would make a nice addition to Martini Sporting rifle collection.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com