Louis
(.375 member)
24/05/18 11:11 PM
German & Austrian single-shot & combination classic rifles

I have for a couple of years now been on the hunt for classic single-shot and combination rifles shooting factory ammunition in European calibres (6,5x57R ; 7x65R ; 8x57JRS) as hunting with single-shot rifles represents to me the quintessence of the fair chase concept.

I started by looking for pre-WW2 Sauer & Sohn models, however they are really hard to find and command extremely high prices when available in mint condition or have often been altered. I subsequently noticed that immediate post-WW2 Sauer & Sohn production at Eckenförde (then in Western Germany) had almost the same characteristics as the pre-WW2 one, was slightly more available as well as more affordable and I therefore re-directed my search.

My two-year long quest after single-shot and combination rifles is now over - probably only for a short period of time as one knows that the quest for rifles is a never ending concern, and I wanted to share with you photos of my rifles, from top to below (1) combination ‘bockbüchsflinte’ (BBF) Sauer & Sohn (Eckenförde) Mod. 54, (2) single shot ‘kipplauf’ Sauer & Sohn (Eckenförde) Mod. IX, and (3) ‘kipplauf’ Benedikt Winkler (Ferlach).

BBF Sauer & Sohn (Eckenförde) Mod. 54:
- Manufactured in 1965.
- Calibres: 16/70 (full choke) & 6,5x57R; best accuracy with RWS DK 9,1 grams (140 grains) bullets.
- Kersteen Greener bolt; Bochumer Verein steel barrels; all original parts but the trigger guard, which I recently replaced with a vintage horn-made one kindly provided by Lancaster; original stock length & Sauer butt plate.
- Total lenght: 106 cm; barrels length: 65 cm; weight without scope: 3 kg; weight with scope: 3,6 kg.
- Fitted with a Zeiss Diatal 6x42 rifle scope.
- I found this rifle in Austria. Mod. 54 BBFs seem to have in their time been a S&S success sale and are not uncommon on the second-hand market in Western Europe.

Kipplauf Sauer & Sohn (Eckenförde) Mod. IX:
- Manufactured in 1957.
- Calibre: 6,5x57R; best accuracy with RWS DK 9,1 grams (140 grains) bullets.
- Kersteen Greener bolt; all original parts; original stock length & Sauer butt plate; half-octagonal & half-round Bochumer Verein steel barrel.
- In addition to German proofmarks this rifle also bears Ferlach proofmarks as it went in 1972 through riflemaker Outschar’s workshop for unidentified work.
- Total lenght: 106 cm; barrel length: 65 cm; weight without scope: 3 kg; weight with scope: 3,5 kg.
- Initially fitted with a Zeiss 4x32 rifle scope, now replaced by a Khales KX 2-7x36.
- I would be grateful to any Forum member able to share with me a copy of the S&S 1957 or 1958 catalog as I would like to check in which calibers was this kipplauf offered then.
- Sourced in Germany. I do not know whether kipplaufs Mod. IX were produced in small quantities or during a short period of time only as they do not come very often on the used rifles market.

Kipplauf Benedikt Winkler (Ferlach):
- Manufactured in 1971.
- Calibre: 7x65R; best accuracy with RWS KS 8 grams (123 grains) bullets.
- Kersteen Greener bolt; one-third octagonal & two-third round barrel.
- Total lenght: 106 cm; barrel length: 65 cm; weight without scope: 3,1 kg; weight with scope: 3,8 kg.
- Currently fitted with a Swarovski Habicht 1,5-6x42 rifle scope; I aim to have it fitted after the 2018 hunting season with a Swarovski Z3 2,5-10x42 that will bring better magnification and lower weight.
- Purchased in France. I had initially not planned to buy this rifle however it was love at first sight and I am convinced that the high velocity (V0: 930 m/s – 3050 ft/sec) and flat trajectory (MRD: 186 meters - 203 yards) 7x65R 123-grain bullet will perform well on light mountain game!

I do like these rifles because I find them utterly classical in style. They are to me the epitome of what classic working rifles should be i.e. perfect blending of steel and wood, minimalistic decoration as well as emphasis put on a rifle’s core value (quality steel, smooth working action, accuracy, and matching stock of nice but not fancy wood) instead of on a flashy appearance (‘excessive’ engraving and exhibition wood) ; but I reckon this is really a matter of personal taste.

I will take them out for hunting this year, no doubt they should already have a good track record with their previous owners, and I will keep you posted on the results.

Louis

Contact Us NitroExpress.com