CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
16/10/17 05:45 AM
Re: Stevens 44-1/2 - An American Classic

I have been shooting this rifle with its .25-20 SS barrel a bit lately.

I did replace the original Rocky Mountain blade front sight with a nice little globe sight I bought from Lee Shaver Gunsmithing. That helps the sight picture quite a lot.

With two weights of Sierra bullets I had on hand I am consistently getting sub-MOA groups using the aperture insert in the front globe along with the tang aperture sight. Here is a five shot, 100 yard group I fired just two days ago. It is about 3/4" center to center and shot with the Sierra 90 grain boat tail hollow point.

In my efforts I also have been getting the sights set properly. Windage is adjusted by drifting the globe front sight in its dovetail. To ensure accurate elevation adjustment I have been making rods or pins to drop in the barrel of the Lyman tang sight for the staff of the aperture to bottom firmly against. Proper elevation is obtained by filing this pin.

I haven't decided on my final load for the .25-20 SS. When I finalize my load I will adjust the sights to print dead-on at 100 yards.

I sourced my brass from MidwayUSA. They stock Jamison brass at a reasonable price. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/427630/jamison-reloading-brass-25-20-single-shot-bag-of-20

Mike, if our plans work out I expect you here to clean out my refrigerator next March before going to the Baltimore Antique Arms Show.

Daryl, I do hope you will find your way down here next fall.

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com