CptCurlAdministrator
(.450 member)
12/04/17 09:04 PM
Re: John Rigby & Co. 40-70 Bottle Neck Single Shot Rifle #15130

Wayne59 and Daryl,

Yeah I have given thought to the matters you mention.

I started out with 330 grain PP bullets. They shot low. I figured the easy fix was a 370 grain PP bullet to bring it up. They still shot low. These were with nitro-for-black loads.

My next thought was to try bp loads, thinking the extra recoil and ejected mass of the bp load would bring the muzzle up. That has not worked, either. It may be for the reason stated by Wayne - inferior modern bp. I don't know.

I'm getting good accuracy, just low shot placement. I'm going to have Mike Rowe make a new rear sight. There will be no alteration to the rifle whatsoever, and I will retain the original rear sight. For me, that is the simplest and best solution. I'm going to have Mike regulate the new rear sight for a load of 70 grains Olde Eynsford 2f with a 330 grain PP bullet. The load shoots well and will be dandy in this little rifle.

It will be a little money spent, but the problem will go away without any damage or alteration to the rifle. Problem solved!

I realize there has been quite a time lag from acquiring this rifle until present. Life has been busy. There have been quite a few "new" double rifles drifting into my life during that time period. The little Rigby has languished in the gun safe unattended, but not for lack of love. You folks just don't know how serious my disease is.

Last October I got involved in a really nice single shot stalking rifle competition. I mentioned it here: Stalking Rifle Shoot That event got me interested in single shot rifles once more, and I resolved to hammer out the issues with this little Rigby. So now, six months later, I'm moving forward. Sometimes it takes a "happening" to make something happen.

To put it in perspective, if you think my neglect of this Rigby is deplorable, just consider that I have shot my Fraser .303 only on a few occasions. Fraser .303 That rifle is really dynamite!

Alas, double rifles seem to grab all my time. Yesterday afternoon was spent putting together black powder loads for my H&H .450 hammer double. I haven't even posted a thread about that double rifle, but that's the one I've been shooting lately. I plan to shoot it in the BP cartridge double rifle competition at Friendship, Indiana in June. And then there's the Dickson Round Action .500 3-1/4" BPE. I don't think I've even mentioned that beauty. Too much stimulation!

Curl

Contact Us NitroExpress.com