sharps4590
(.333 member)
10/04/17 09:02 PM
Re: Ranking of Single Shot Actions

Rank them? I don't know if I can do that. I can't pick which one I like most. Seems my handle would indicate one as I do like my two Shiloh's. I am blessed to own a very petite Johann Outschar stalking rifle in an old BP cartridge I call the 9.3 X 62R and it's on a Jones underlever, an action not to be ignored. There's also a Bartels stalking rifle on an Ideal action in 8.15 X 46R which is a delight. I've had rolling blocks but they simply don't appeal to me. I like the Ballard and it is pretty decent but not all that strong an action. Same could be said for the Stevens 44 and 44 1/2. The Farq. and the Fraser I like immensely but have no experience with either. Henry Holland and some other fella came up with a single shot action I liked when I saw it but forget what it was called or the other fella's name.

The 1885 is sort of like the roller, a fine action but little appeal for me unless...it would happen to be a low wall in 32-20. That would get my attention.

If I can find a nice one that I can afford and is in an interesting, obscure and obsolete cartridge my next one will probably be a German, top lever kiplauf.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com