HistoricBore
(.300 member)
08/04/17 04:00 AM
Which Ruger No. 1 should I choose?

Hi Guys, and ladies

I'm wondering about buying a secondhand Ruger No. 1 single shot rifle as a reloading and not-too-serious target rifle. A local dealer here in England has got two for sale, and both are chambered for the 7 x 57 rimless round. One is really very early, with a red rubber butt plate, whilst the other is somewhat later. Both have a 22" sporting-weight barrel.

I'm sorry to be so vague about it, but I have not seen them in the flesh, or indeed been able to find out the serial numbers, which would then let me know the date of manufacture.

I have read so much about the various accuracy problems with these, and also read about various cures, that I am a little cautious. I do have a recent copy of RIFLE which had a very good analysis of them, plus a similar copy of GUNS & AMMO. In other countries the answer would just be to shoot them, but that's not too easy here in Britain....

So my question really is: at what point did the factory begin to make these rifles with reasonable accuracy, or is it not just that simple?

HistoricBore

Contact Us NitroExpress.com