NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
01/01/17 05:54 AM
Re: thinking of a combination gun

Quote:

Anyone make a combo that has a long range barrel 7mm or 300 flanged or over a big inch caliber 45-90 and above. So you have close range bear or long range sheep.so you don't have the he's too far or oh shit he's next to me in the laurels instead of see through mounts could do offset irons on the side like the AR guys do.

One of the problems of this sort of setup is if the long range sheep hunting barrel is not accurate enough in the field for the job. One rarely reads or hears of a comination, double rifle etc used for that sort of hunting.

Double rifle and combination barrels can be very accurate. The first double rifle I ever shot was an U/O 5.6x50R and .22 Magnum. The 5.6 barrel shot to a three shot one hole group at 100 metres. My Tikka U/O double rifle is also very accurate. Combination rifle barrels can also be very accurate until the thin barrels heat up. Not an issue if firing only a shot or two at a time.

A possible solution would be to sight the LR range in for the scope specifically for sheep hunting. And hope or work out that the second bigger barrel is adequately sighted for closer range work. Very possible

One would have to lug around a possibly heavier firearm in the mountains though.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com