lancaster
(.470 member)
23/05/16 02:00 PM
Re: Dreyse Double

no, mine is 23673
somewhere between this and your gun Dreyse makes different modification because the old needle fire gun became technical more and more outdated. some were outward like the slim action I have found first in the 24xxx range or the new triggers starting in the 23xxx range and other were inside like the center fire extractor and the final use of the common center fire shotgun cartridge than called Lancaster cartridge.
Dreyse like any gunmaker in history try to hold on the proprietary cartridges so long as possible. the last side-lock gun made in the 1890s for this get cartridges with a special center fire primer.
this special Dreyse shotgun cartridges were available up to WW 1.
notice that there is no real cut in production when new things came so you will still find old style guns along with modified guns.
the highest serial number on a original Dreyse double gun like our I have now points to 1890 but with all all improvments and the action probably for "Randschlussspiegel" cartridges with center fire primer.

look for a good 2.0 mm steel wire, carbon steel of course, and soft solder it into the needle screw. then there is trial and error to get the length!
take the barrel off so you can see the needle come out of the breech face. the correct length must be 12-15 mm but so short the needle are in when the action is cocked.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com