AbitNutz
(.275 member)
18/12/15 12:32 AM
Greener-Martini in 45/70

I just picked up a Greener-Martini in 45/70. I understand that this started life as a shotgun and was morphed in to a rifle by Nay-Arms. The wood is plain no fix for that at anything like a reasonable cost. Maybe it would look better if I refinished it in a darker coloring.

It has a really nice color case hardened frame/receiver and a heavy 26 inch octagon barrel. The bore is excellent, bright and clear. The trigger isn't horrible but I think I could improve it by polishing things up s a bit.

For whatever reason, Navy Arms removed the head off the cocking indicator. All that exits on the right side is the polished off almost flush end of the shaft. I want to get the cocking indicator back. I found one for the Greener-Martini shotgun. I hope it works out. If it doesn't, does anyone know if a Martini-Henry cocking indicator will work? I suspect it won't due to the Greener being a larger action all around.

Lastly...sights. They just sick. The barrel has a pair of what looks like, 3/8th's dovetails milled in. The front should be no problem. There are all kinds of options I can go with. It's the rear that I'm having trouble with. I would really like some sort of tang sight in the back but there is no metal tang to mount it to. I'm not crazy about the idea of mounting it in the wood.

Any reasonable ideas for whatever kind of rear sight that you learned and imaginative folks might have?

This is a really, really cool rifle. I just love the way the action works.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com