DarylS
(.700 member)
11/05/15 12:39 AM
Re: New Ruger No.1 owner 450-400 Nitro Express

Quote:

I just couldn't resist the opportunity of owning a genuine British African cartridge at such a reasonable price. It's my first Ruger No.1 as well. I had read all the posts regarding the Ruger's abysmal trigger pull and was all prepared to grit my teeth. However, I was happily disappointed. (can you be happily disappointed?) The trigger on this No.1 is spot on. It's the right weight of pull for this caliber. There's no creep and no over travel. In fact, it's one of the nicest out of the box triggers I've run across. I'm not even going to bother twiddling the adjustment screws.

Against my better judgement, I ran the numbers through a recoil calculator and was a bit stunned to see the numbers it spit out are about 4x my M1. So with great deal of skepticism I went to the range and touched off a few of the Hornady factory loads I bought with the rifle. You know what? They're every bit of 4x my M1.

Wow! Does this thing put'em down range! It's almost intoxicating. However, after running through the 20 round box, I slowly realized that I'd lost the use of the left side of my body (left eyed shooter here). I'm now actively looking for a "sissy" pad. I expect that the money I saved by not needing a trigger job will be spent on buying Past Recoil shield. Someone please tell me they work...

As I refuse to pay $90.00 per 20 rounds of factory ammo...OK, I can't afford to pay $90.00...I added the appropriate Hornady die set and NOE bullet mold to my reloading inventory.

I'm not completely sold on the factory sights. I might try a Skinner or XS peep sight.

All in all I'm really thrilled with the rifle and caliber.

Nice to make all you folks acquaintance.

Abit - the PAST recoil shields (standard magnum model) are wonderful at absorbing recoil. I was still able to shoot my .375 and 9.3 with torn cartilage fore and aft in my right shoulder, and continue doing so until it healed up or probably muscles strengthened up, over time. I even wore it shooting my muzzleloaders, although it was not needed, except for the 14 bore.

There are 2 thicker models than the standard magnum, but the 'lop' becomes too long for me. I'm only a little guy (compared to some).

Contact Us NitroExpress.com