AbitNutz
(.275 member)
10/05/15 04:50 PM
Re: New Ruger No.1 owner 450-400 Nitro Express

Thanks so much for the warm welcome.

I'm a little confused on the history of the Ruger No.1 design. Is it unique or is it a warmed over Farquharson? Or perhaps, some other single shot? The lines of the Farquharson are certainly, to my eyes, the most beautiful of any rifle, single, double or bolt.

I've constructed(ok, my wife has constructed)an appropriate sized bag filled with rice that I'll use while shooting from the bench...as soon as full function returns to my left side. I'm sure I've now developed a huge flinch...I have managed to keep my thumb in tact. Of course, now that I'm cognizant of the danger, I'll be sure to tear it off completely.

What modification can be had for the No.1's safety? Anything to save me from myself would be greatly appreciated.

Cpt Curl, I've dutifully copied your load into my reloading recipe book. I'm one who's been very nervous regarding fillers. Can I give me the particulars about what you're using? Maybe a picture? It seems that putting 50gr of powder in a 100gr case would require a filler. I have read that the exception seems to be powders like 5744.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com