DarylS
(.700 member)
10/04/15 02:51 AM
Re: Seeking twist rates for .577 Black Powder Express

Yes, that's the one, Bill - nice shooting rifle, even with 6 dram 2F GOEX loads. I was able to reduce those to just over 5 drams with the newer powder.

I suspect a reduction to perhaps 4 1/2 drams or 5 drams wiht Swiss 1 1/2F powder.

Here's 140gr. (5 1/8th dram) load- rifle is still climbing a bit.

With proper pitch on the butt, the as the shoulder is driven back, it angles down, bringing the cheek off the comb - thus, the comb never smacks you. Note the trigger finger close to the front of the guard, well forward of the trigger. Almost full recoil at that point. 140gr. 2f GOEX and 480gr. round ball - and no pain. We were shooting the 200yard offhand 5 shot part of a 10 shots at 200yards postal match. The 14 bore won. There were a lot of guys on the forum who were going to compete, but only the originator, Taylor and I posted targets. Both Taylor and the other guy shot .50's against my .69. Taylor then built himself a .62 cal. 12 pound Hawken to compete more closely in that event. When working up loads he managed a 2 1/2", 5 shot group at 200yards, once he settled on 130gr. of powder as the best load.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com