Norman4
(.300 member)
25/01/15 04:46 AM
BUHAG Suhl

BUHAG Suhl. 16 gauge modified choke over 8x57RS and some of the terrain here for which it is well suited. It came from Simpsons a few years back with a Hensoldt 6x in the claw mounts. I have had difficulty sighting it in for elevation, but it works well in thick cover with it's open sights. I use Remington #1 Buck or #6 Magnum over Sellier and Bellot 200grn. cutting edge bullets. The recoil pad was added at some point, and I found out after I had purchased the gun that it had been counter bored back for a good ways in the rifle barrel. It works well enough and is a joy to carry. Norman4

lancaster
(.470 member)
25/01/15 06:14 AM
Re: BUHAG Suhl

if you dont have the "Ü" on your keyboard the proper term would be "UE" so Buehag
it stands for Büchsenmacher-Handwerksgenossenschaft and was a cooperative the small gunmaker in Suhl had to be a member in the communist period.
that means your gun was build by a gunmaker usualy with a lot of handwork like it was in the pre WW 2 years. the break down frame and barrels were bought as workpieces from the Merkel factory.
sometimes, not allways, you find a small name in the action like here in my Gebr. Adamy made Bühag 16 ga double gun.

Norman4
(.300 member)
25/01/15 07:15 AM

Thank you very much for the information lancaster. You have a very beautiful gun as well! Here are some more pictures of details. I must correct myself as it is one of my other guns which wears a Hensoldt scope. My Buehag wears a Karl Zeiss Jena 6x. It is the bottom gun here on my wall.

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
25/01/15 08:36 AM

Beautiful guns both of you. This forum always seems to lean towards side x side's but I love the over and under configuration, particularly in combination guns.

Norman4, that last picture of where you hunt looks exactly like a place that I hunt here in Australia, very mystical. I always find that if the location that you are hunting looks really nice it enhances the hunt so much more. Well done.

Waidmannsheil.

Norman4
(.300 member)
25/01/15 09:10 AM

Waidmannsheil. Thankyou. Yes, the hunt itself is the most important thing. The chase. I am privileged to live in a beautiful and rugged area of the US. This was a snowy rainy day and I was moving through the fog. I had difficulty getting a clear picture, but the ambiance was too much to resist! The rifle seemed to fit the environment. I have always enjoyed older and collectable firearms. I have been fortunate to be able to procure them along the way. This rifle, despite some of it's glitches is a favorite. There isn't anything here that I couldn't hunt with it. The European combination/drilling guns are perfect for our situation here. I have enjoyed NitroExpress.com for years. I never posted much, but it is a wonderful site, with much knowledge and beauty. I appreciate the work and time that m any of you have put in. Thankyou for the opportunity to share some of my treasures with you! Norman4.

Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
25/01/15 10:41 AM

Norman4, I have to admit that hunting in those conditions always seems to make you feel as if the hunt is in its most basic form, sort of medieval. One almost feels like St. Hubert himself. A couple of years ago a mate and I were hunting in the mountains and there had been a foot of fresh snow overnight and it appeared to have only finished snowing a few hours before we arrived. We were hunting up a valley, my mate on one side and me on the other. I normally never hunt with anyone else at the same time but on this occasion I did. There were fresh prints in the snow which I was able to follow all the way up the valley. It was quite foggy so visibility was low but the atmosphere was fantastic. Eventually near the top we were honked at about five times at a fairly close range and although we never did see the stag it was one of the most exciting hunts if have ever had. Everything covered in fresh snow and the fog made the whole experience unforgettable. We met up at the top when the sun came out and we sat down and had our lunch, crusty rolls with cheese and a smoked sausage. Neither of us said much as we could not stop thinking of the hunt that had just been. Although unsuccessful as far as bagging an animal was concerned it is probably the hunt I think of most often.

Waidmannsheil.

Igorrock
(.400 member)
25/01/15 08:59 PM

It looks like there is text something like Simson....etc.

Norman4
(.300 member)
25/01/15 09:12 PM

Yes Igorock. They were the US importer. I purchased the rifle from them. Simpson LTD. I have done a lot of business with them over the years. They have done right by me. Resolved most issues, if any, and I would recommend them. US law requires the importer to stamp all firearms now. It leads to some hideous marring in my opinion, but such are the times we live in. Simpsons goes out of their way to avoid detracting from the collector value of the weapons they import by making their mark as unobtrusive as possible and still be legal. Norman4

Contact Us NitroExpress.com