lancaster
(.470 member)
22/11/14 03:40 PM
Re: Dreyse Double

hallo cwilson
you dont hijack this thread in any way, it goes on and on just to clear the question you and me have
this is a very interesting double rifle and I wish it stand in my safe.
it was made in the Franz von Dreyse gun factory in Sömmerda/Germany. the gold on your barrel dont lie to you.
value is allways a question and if you wish to know it exactly just give it in an auction. I see it sale here for 3000 -3500 euro.
Franz v. Dreyse die in 1894 and the firm was taking over partly by Rheinmetall in 1899 and complete in 1901.it seems after Franz died the firm marked guns with "v.Dreyse Sömmerda" so your double rifle with the serial number 34230 was made before his dead. for many reason we need more pics of your rifle. if it have the german proof marks we can date this double in the 1893/94 period. serial number 37531 is made after 1899 but the firm was in trouble in this years and we can imagine they dont make many guns in this harder times.
the old double gun from 1856 was very outdated in 1890 by the modern hammerless boxlock and sidelock actions from britain we still have in use today and if there wasn't the conservative prussian gentry the problem may have occur earlier. to chamber the guns for the so called Lancaster shotgun cartridges ( the type we still have in use) was not the answer and in the last years there was a lot of trial to find a new and more modern action like this 12ga hammerless dounle gun, serial number 33290 here.

they made also common toplever hammer guns like this 16 ga/11,15x60R combination gun probably after 1894.

http://www.vdb-waffen.de/de/gebrauchtwaf...reyse&o=neu

you have to look very closely on this hammergun to see the Dreyse design DNA in it and its only in things like stock, carved horn pistol grib and forearm tip telling you who the craftsman were making this. there was at least another action with the dreyse underleaver but the barrels break normal.

your double rifle is something in between and it seems to me the firing pins will be unlock with this massive piece at the end of the action by press the button on top. please make so many pics as possible showing how the action is working, proof and caliber marks under the barrel respectively on the action.
do you shoot the double rifle?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com