lancaster
(.470 member)
02/11/14 03:28 AM
Re: Dreyse Double

look again in Koch's book about this rifle

and because it dont have a name we will call it what he did. this bolt action is the "Dreyse Patent Kammerschloß" what will be in english "Dreyse Patent boltaction". I believe this term will distinguish this bolt action enough from the old dreyse needle fire bolt action and recommend to use it.

there is something, an unsolved mystery in this book that worry me for years now. Koch describe in his book a 12mm needle fire stalking rifle from the early 1860s but sometimes still in use in 1890.
this should be a break action single shot working similar like the teschner action. when push a underlever like we know it from the double guns the barrel slide forward until it come free from the "kammer" and then break down. problem is I never see such a break down rifle and till now all single shot rifles I have seen - not many - had barrels swing out to the right side as usual.

something like this older single shot rifle here

the general style of this rifle shows an older model probably from the 1860s. its clearly to see that this rifle shots a needle fire paper cartridge without base like Koch describe for the "12mm stalking rifle". notice that the trigger guard seems to be the same you see on the M 65 Jägerbüchse

Koch is writing that this 12mm Needle fire rifle shot a paper cartridge with the common paper made sabot and the primer pill in the base of this. the bullet was hold by the sabot but unlike the military rifle the bullet had some contact with the rifling and dont fill it complete.
the RMS ammo catalog have cartridges for the "Zündnadel-Rotations-Büchse 11mm"

not only rifle cartridges but shotgun cartridges too. The "Rotations - Büchse" means this rifle was using the now well known Dreyse rifled chamber insert

and by changing it you had a small bore shotgun. the 11mm caliber would fit his description of a bullet in contact with rifling but dont fill the 12mm barrel.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com