kuduae
(.400 member)
11/09/14 11:43 PM
Re: Break Action Singles

Here is another one, showing the sorry fate of so many German guns after WW2. It is a simple break-open underlever single shot of the “Tell type”, called so after such a model offered by Sauer & Sohn, Suhl. These simple rifles were a staple of the Zella – Mehlis guntrade, coming in many grades from many different makers. Mine was made in Zella – Mehlis and proofed there in 1926. It was signed and retailed by G.L. Rasch in Brunswick, the last of the Rasch gunmaking dynasty there until bombed out in 1944. (BTW, Heinrich Ludwig Rasch, Langer Hof, Brunswick about 1830 made rifle barrels to Captain Berner’s two-groove design for British army tests, hence the designation “Brunswick Rifle”). The full octagonal barrel is chambered for the 6.5x52R aka .25-35 Winchester cartridge. The action shows some border engraving and the G.L.Rasch, Braunschweig address. In 1945 it was smashed by some GI, stock and underlever broken and the muzzle heavily damaged. The next 40 years the parts spent in a dark corner of a barn, rusting and rotting away. In 1987 the sorry remains fell into my hands. I took pity with the poor junk and repaired it to working condition. Because of the hopeless muzzle the barrel was shortened to 55 cm = 22” and restraightened. I welded a new handle to the underlever and repaired the broken stock. As you see, I over-reinforced it, but I did not know better then. A small, 22 mm = 7/8” tube, 4x Wetzlar scope was mounted. Last I reblued and refinished it, but without trying to file out the rust pits. Weight now, with scope, is exactly 3 kg = 6.7 pounds. With it’s pet load, 87gr Hornady or Speer in front of 26gr VV N140, it shoots inside 5 cm = 2” at 100m all day, if I do my job. Shot a few roe deer and several foxes with it, but use it mostly for fun on targets.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com